SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apache server alternative

i'm running windows98. if i use Bad Blue server, i know i can use php, but can i use mysql and phpnuke?
    it's a work in progress, but it's mine.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've heard the Cobalt Qube called a lot of things, but never "Bad Blue." Could you, erm, rephrase the question? Like a lot?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go to http://www.badblue.com for a better explanation.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's neat and all, but you should really get a real server, even if it's just for testing. In response to your question, MySQL will work, because it's server-independent for the most part, but I'm not sure about specific PHP applications, because I don't know what they require.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe as long as the server is able to call on the PHP parser to parse .php files, it should be fine. Most scripts you find online are not dependant on a certain server, but more on the PHP version the server is running.
    So, if you have the ability to install/upgrade PHP yourself on that server, you should be fine with most scripts.

However, for working with PHP, I would still recommend Apache, IIS or Sambar .

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use Apache you can install PHP as an Apache module and it will be *much* faster. You also have access to a few Apache specific goodies

There are hundreds of people here that can help you with Apache, if you have any problems just ask

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can install PHPTriad - it will install Apache, PHP and MySQL on a Win98 box. I used it for testing until I built my linux box.

Edit: Apparently now it's called "Sokkit" and the website is below:

http://www.phpgeek.com/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you see, the reason i'm interested in bad blue is because from what i've read, apache/windows98 is not a stable combination and that it's best to have advance development skill if i use the apache/windows98 combination. bad blue is made for windows98.

am i wrong in my conclusion.

i'm not looking to become a developer. i'm starting a hobbyist/enthusiasts site. i need something with a good learning curve.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a good learning curve, you should use Apache as a webserver. Most tutorials online and most books will assume that you use Apache. I have been using it for more then two years now as a localhost testserver, and it never failed me.

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DivaX007
    you see, the reason i'm interested in bad blue is because from what i've read, apache/windows98 is not a stable combination and that it's best to have advance development skill if i use the apache/windows98 combination
    Windows 98 is not a suitable platform for a 'live' server (i.e. don't host your website on Windows 98!). There is absolutely no real reason not to develop scripts under Windows 98 and Apache, 99% of PHP code can be used cross-platform if you know what you're doing

One thing I would say is install everything yourself. You really will learn much more, you will be able to set it up as you want it and make sure it is as fast as it can be

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little more on BadBlue

A couple of things to note about BadBlue:

- It's < 300K in size and comes up immediately upon installation in a browser window
    - It includes a PHP Wizard that basically sets up PHP for you (and works great w/MySQL, etc.)
    - It integrates with the Windows system tray so that you can control the server via right-click
    - It includes the PHP ShareOffice library so you can read Office files in a single function call (say you want to read an Excel spreadsheet - you can read the entire sheet into an array in a single call, fast)

It's a little bit different than Apache in that it's designed to be a personal, peer-to-peer server that also happens to be designed to integrate with PHP in ways that Apache doesn't yet address (e.g., ShareOffice).

Download at http://badblue.com/down.htm

SitePoint Enthusiast powdermonster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out phpdev,from
    http://www.firepages.com.au

it is php apache, mysql, it is really easy to install, and i have never had a problem with it
    Keri

jamesbond-007.info
    cPanel Guide

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use xitami and havent had any problems with it. I guess since it works for windoze tho, I'll have to download Apache. I always thought it only worked on Linux..? In fact just recently I went looking for a windows version and couldnt find one.

I dont use php, but for my l4me website Xitami is working okay.

$00.02
    "Far too lazy for that."

TURTLES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by turtlecatcher
    I always thought it only worked on Linux..? In fact just recently I went looking for a windows version and couldnt find one.
    Well if you look here:
    http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/
    You'll find the Windows binary.
    Oh no! the coots are eating my nodes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by turtlecatcher
    I use xitami and havent had any problems with it.
    Yeah me too, I think its kewl, very fast and reliable and best of all its free free free (actually it's opensource)Also very quick and easy to set-up. Recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it. It also works just fine with PHP & MySQL so creating them dynamic sites is no probs. I currently running it on my Win2K Pro box. Try it: http://www.xitami.com/