User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE7 Compatability Issue with Classic ASP

IE7 issue.jpgHi all,

I have just started work with a new company as there software developer. I am proficient in ASP.NET but not used classic asp though. Anyways........I have been asked to look at an issue with one of the internal systems that has been developed in classic asp.

The system has worked fine in IE7/8/9 up until 3 weeks ago. The system still works fine for 99% of all users:

However 4 of the 440 users are having the exactly the same issue. When they start up their pc's and access the organisations intranet they can access the webpage fine and with functionality. However as soon as they close internet explorer down and then try to access the same page of the intranet that they accessed 30 seconds ago a section that has drop down lists in it no longer works. They click on the drop down list and just does not work.

I am thinking that this may be a CSS issue / compatability issue but because it has worked for 3 years up until the last 3 weeks this is probably not the case. Nothing has been changed with regards to the scripts. I then looked at windows updates and the 4 users have had none that should have effected this particular functionality.

Any ideas on this would be appreciated?
    Last edited by TedsShed3; Oct 27, 2011 at 08:15. Reason: Left off Image

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know how quickly attachments get approved. Might be quicker to put the image on Photobucket/similar and link it in your post.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TedsShed3 View Post
    IE7 issue.jpgHi all,

I have just started work with a new company as there software developer. I am proficient in ASP.NET but not used classic asp though. Anyways........I have been asked to look at an issue with one of the internal systems that has been developed in classic asp.

The system has worked fine in IE7/8/9 up until 3 weeks ago. The system still works fine for 99% of all users:

However 4 of the 440 users are having the exactly the same issue. When they start up their pc's and access the organisations intranet they can access the webpage fine and with functionality. However as soon as they close internet explorer down and then try to access the same page of the intranet that they accessed 30 seconds ago a section that has drop down lists in it no longer works. They click on the drop down list and just does not work.

I am thinking that this may be a CSS issue / compatability issue but because it has worked for 3 years up until the last 3 weeks this is probably not the case. Nothing has been changed with regards to the scripts. I then looked at windows updates and the 4 users have had none that should have effected this particular functionality.

Any ideas on this would be appreciated?
    Hi Ian, thanks for the heads up. Here is a link to the image? http://s1219.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IE7issue.jpg

Just seems very strange as works [and has always worked] and only effects 4 users of 450+. Also works fine when they first open up IE but then won't work when they close and re-open the site again. All other features of the site are fine. This is why I was looking for commonality ie CSS error or something, but why would it work the first tinme they log in if it was a css error [or any error for that mnatter]. Must be an update issue etc???????? Cheers. Ru

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by "does not work"? What DOES happen that shouldn't? What DOESN'T happen that should?

Have these users tweaked anything in their browsers? (Cache settings, privacy settings etc.)

Bottom line - if it works for everyone else, and works first time for these people, then it's very unlikely to be an ASP problem. The only outside chance is something to do with sessions using cookies, and these instances of IE not accepting session cookies.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by siteguru View Post
    What do you mean by "does not work"? What DOES happen that shouldn't? What DOESN'T happen that should?

Have these users tweaked anything in their browsers? (Cache settings, privacy settings etc.)

Bottom line - if it works for everyone else, and works first time for these people, then it's very unlikely to be an ASP problem. The only outside chance is something to do with sessions using cookies, and these instances of IE not accepting session cookies.
    I mean when you click on the drop down arrow a list should appear that you can select an item from. For these 4 users when they click on the drop dwon arrow next to the field as shown in the attachment the text box just highlights blue as shown and no list appears. As said this works for them until they close down the first session of IE. As soon as they open IE for a second time they then get this error. As said originally the code looks fine so am just a bit baffled.

An important not is that if I create a short cut on the desktop to the url for them [during their first IE session] then they can continue to use this short cut and the drop down lists work fine as they do for the 400+ other users. I will have a look at their privacy / cache settings tomorrow and will update.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the droplist is generated from a SQL query then it may be something to do with how the query parameters are derived, which may tie in with the cache/privacy/sessions thought.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk