SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Cooking charts - new site with cooking times and temperatures

Hi all, I would really love some feedback on my new site, http://www.cookingcharts.com

What I hope is for people to find cooking times and temperatures for the most common types of food and dishes as fast and easy as possible, without any anoying elements.

I will continue to add more data, but I'm sort of stuck on the design and layout. In addition to your general feelings and ideas about the site, I would love some feedback on the following topics

- design, to gray and boring?
    - should I add some pictures, or is will it just be in the way of finding data quickly?
    - should I add some kind of search or shortcuts on the top to find what you want faster?
    - the charts, to messy and difficult to read?

Tip: you can start a timer by clicking the times, and hovering over the temperatures will show it in centigrades.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Sorry for this brief reply, but the site looks great to me. I love the color scheme and the lack of unnecessary stuff. I'd say keep it simple. Images not needed in my opinion.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks cute

i got one question though what happen with the timer goes to zero ? is there an alert ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! It just pops a message that tells you your food is done. I'm not really sure of what more to do with the timer, but at least I'll add the option to play a sound when it's done, like a regular egg timer or something.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think adding a sound alert will be more helpful (nothing noisy or high because people probably are using their computer while waiting for food to be done). Message wouldn't help unless they are browsing your website.

Once more thing you can do, you can create small app for desktop and phone, i guess people will love that as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onegoodman25 View Post
    Once more thing you can do, you can create small app for desktop and phone, i guess people will love that as well
    My thoughts exactly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Opinion:

The design is good. It is a clean, usable design with the data you want right there. I would suggest that the links you are using to display the timer are a little over the top. I think the reference is enough.

One thing I would suggest is also losing the link on the cooking temperature. What I think would be more appropriate would be a F, C, and Fan Assisted. The colour scheme is good and proportion and spacing is just right.

Nice site.

John.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments, and sorry for the late reply!

@onegoodman25: I agree that a visual alert won't be of much help, as people will browse other content, or won't be at their computers at all.
    And I think I'm gonna make it possible to "test" play the sound, so you'll know what to listen for. I've been thinking about an app, but I dont know if I have the time and resources now..

@JohnC-: Thanks for the positive feedback on the design! I kind of like the timer function, but I'm not quite satisfied with how it looks and works, so I'll probably change something about it.. Regarding the temperature, I think it's too much to show everything, but I'm thinking of a way to toggle between F and C. It's a very good idea to also have temperatures for fan assisted ovens, if that was what you meant