SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flower Shop Website

This is a brand new website for a brand new store. I know the gallery section could be better but they only had a limited number of photos to provide me. I'm looking for critiques on the overall design and suggestions on what could make the site better.

The Floral Finish Florist, King City, ON, Flowers for All Occasions

Cheers,

~DP

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting website.
    Design pluses: clear greenish colourscheme.Header that makes it clear what are we dealing with. Gallery with images is an advantage too.
    Design minuses: too template-looking. While properly selected template is an advantage, this one needs in some changes, just to look more personal. Besides, what does "templatedemo" mean? An demo of the template or demo of the website?
    I would enjoy roll-over text while browsing images, but that's maybe my personal taste.
    Design suggestions (in my humble non-professional opinion): to change template a bit so that it would look more personal; introduce mouse-over text over images; divide Gallery into several categories (since you have "wdding", "new baby" etc).
    Content: not too much. Maybe I am a bit critical, but when it comes to some company selling something, I would like to know who they are. How long have they been on market (which they could use on their advantage) and alike. I enjoy nice-looking icons of Visa, Mastercard, PayPal, Verisign so that I could feel safe when ordering. PayPal should be an option, I think (but that maybe can wait a bit). I also missed the prices at least for delivery, packing and so on.
    Overall impression: nice, maybe promising website. Some corrections are needed - with them, this site would be good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the design... it's simple yet effective. The green color of the site matches the flower theme and ties in well with it.

Gallery page is really cool... all I'd really say is add some more content.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur with Vytautas on the green. Itís a nice shade for a floral shop. While the page layout does look reminiscent of some templates (and with images that start with the name templatemo_img_, it looks like the layout started as a template), Iím not sure thatís a bad thing. Personally, I like the layout.

Header: The green space above the logo_bg image seemed strange to me. What about making the logo_bg image the full height of the header background so thereís no green space at the top?

Flower image: Having the image templatemo_img_1.jpg sticking above the rest of the text area seems a little unbalanced (at least for me). It might look better if it was included in the text area.

Three bullet lists: The lists seem to detail what most people go to a florist shop (although itís missing the types of categories I would look for, such as anniversary, get well, happy birthday, and condolences), but the categories donít go anywhere. The important categories (at least for me) are listed under Flowers for All Occasions, but again, they donít go anywhere.

Search Box: Iím not sure what people will be searching for on a florist site (if I canít easily spot what Iím looking for on the first page I land on, Iíll probably go to the next site listed on the Google search), but the search box might fit better aesthetically in the upper right corner of the page (the more typical location for a search box. Also, the box is pretty tall Ė it could be shorter.

Contact Info: It might be helpful to have the information on each page, as well as the information about accepting credit cards (and as Vytautas mentioned, include the icons).

Background Images: There are a number of CSS background images that could be combined into one image sprite to reduce the number of HTTP requests, which would reduce the page load time.

Gallery: Vytautasí recommendation for categories is a good idea. I looked at images 008 and 009, and they were both very large (2,000 by 1,500 pixel, 2.5meg) image files, which is a waste of download capacity. By resizing the images to the display size (687 x 515) and saving at a much lower quality level and subsampling level, it would reduce the image sizes down to around 70K. It might be helpful to have arrangement names on the gallery page (the name could appear above the image when hovered over with the mouse, and maybe even offer a way to copy the name so users could paste the name into an email.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

the green colour is nice.

the search box in the middle of the screen is odd.

graphic not enough

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a blog about flowers rather than a website where I can buy flowers. Missing shopping basket, phone number, home page should have many flowers on them, even if you don't have the images you can just use the same one to get the effect. Basically it should look more like this:
    Flowers & Flower Delivery, Send Flowers Online From Interflora

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an awesome online florist for you, Send Flowers to China | Flower Delivery in China is dedicating to provide you high-quality flowers and offer you one-day delivery service to every city in China.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pictures on the main Gallery page are fuzzy, but are not once you click them. i think a flash gallery would look cooler. also on Contact page, provide your email address (xxxxATfloralfinish.com to stop spammers)... some people might not be able to just click on the Email Us

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice color choice, I personally like green shades great navigation tabs/buttons really well presented and easy to use, some nice snaps in the gallery, I did notice that there wasn't much content on the actual site, mostly pictures and contact information rather than informative information

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The color scheme is quite aappropriate. Be sure to feature actual offerings on the index page rather than simply posting links.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is nice, but I agree with Vytautas, it is a little templatey looking.

Good points:

1. Suitable colour scheme. Green plus white on grey is cool, modern and "planty".
    2. Nice embellishments in the header
    3. Nice soft rounded corners.
    4. Usable image gallery

Here would be my suggestions:

1. The top buttons look a little unfinished. I would change to tabs, or possibly do something a little simpler.
    2. The header background gradient possibly feels like a gradient too far. Maybe if point 1 were addressed this would not be an issue.
    3. Just a thought, I would try making the embellishment white, then I would extend it beyond the border of the page into the background.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site looks good but don't you think this kind of site has some animated things but if you think it this is not a good idea then add few images on site because i think it will look more attractive through this way...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty static website, I personally like to see some animations on the website, but it's a matter of taste (better no animations than too much though!)

Green color scheme very relevant, very suitable.

Couple of things to work upon:

Your site does look like a general site about flowers instead of a "flower online shop" which it's intended to be. Try to get the site more into that alignment.

Gallery takes a bit long to load (atleast on my ISP), which suggests you should maybe use thumbnail versions instead of small sized full image versions. That will shorten the loading time and enable better user experience.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one another good website for flower. And you can get good pic of all type flowers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rapidflowers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one another good website for flowers. And you can get good pics of all type flowers. You can booked your flowers order to online.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i really like the green background color. The logo looks like a button which may make people click on it but nothing happens.
    The Button "Click to order online" needs to stand out more

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice and clean floral design, also I like the background. I want to recommend you add more content and explain a little more about your company.

The sales page in much better but I want to recommend you to have the same design in all your pages because the home page is a little different compare to the sales page.

Also I want to ask you what mean this :
    "L4G 3W4, L4L 3W3, L3Y 2N5, L6A 3B7, L4B 3Z6, L4G 5H1, L3Y 6E8, L4L 7T8, L4L 2R5, L4S 2B7, L6A 0J4, L4S 1R3, L4C 7N1, L4C 6S8, L4H 2M4, L4E 4N8, L4B 3W8, L4C 4E9, L4L 9K7, L4H 2C9, L4L 3X1, L7B 1L1, L6A 0M2, L4H 1P9, L4E 5E6, L4H 3A2, L6A 3T8, L4G 2T1, L3Y 7C6, L6A 0Z9, L4L 1V8, L4G 2V1, L4B 3E8, L3X 3G9, L3Y 7L9, L4B 1G1, L4G 5Z4, L4L 8B9, L4G 7V4, L4C 6L9, L4H 3E9, L3Y 5K5, L4L 9N1, L4L 7X8, L4C 6C5, L4G 6P7, L3Y 6S4, L4C 4B5, L3X 2M1, L3Y 5T8, L3Y 5L4, L4G 6S6, L4B 4J2, L4G 3B3, L3Y 4C7, L3Y 6J1, L6A 3V8, L4E 4T1, L3Y 2P4, L3Y 4X7, L4H 1S3, L4B 2S3, L4G 2Y6, L3Y 2R9, L3Y 5E6, L3Y 7X5, L6A 3H4, L4B 1G3, L4G 1Y6, L4L 2N9, L4E 4G2, L6A 3C4, L4H 3H5, L4C 5J4, L4E 4A6, L4C 4W8, L3Y 3B1, L3Y 6T1, L4E 2K1, L3Y 3K7, L3Y 8S7, L4G 1X6, L6A 0B7, L4C 9Y4, L4C 0P6, L4C 2V8, L4C 9M1, L4G 6K3, L3Y 7M8, L4C 3S6, L4E 3G8, L6A 0Z8, L4G 2Z7, L4C 7W9, L4H 2M8, L4B 3P5, L4B 3P3, L4G 2E9, L4L 7H7, L3Y 3C5."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the design of this site looks very 5-10 years ago. It needs a cleaner look and better gradients. You should really look at some the new web 2.0 design guidelines and consider using a css framework to upgrade your fonts and make it look newer.
    David - Web Developer and Entrepreneur

datingfails.com
    Bad Dates. Great Stories.