SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Validating html using validator.w3.org- need some help

    I have been trying to validate HTML code on my blog. So I went to use http://validator.w3.org/. And since I really dont know how to fix the stated errors. I used the Validate by Direct Input option which basically you can copy your file from your theme and paste it there and then it will give you all the errors and it will also generate a valid code for the same file.

    So, I started going through my files one by one. But the fully thing is when I take the actual "validated" file that it has given me and paste it back to check for validation, it gives me (sometimes) even more errors than my original file?....


    Does anyone know whats up with that? Am I missing something? Also is there any easy way to fix the errors? ...

    Thank you all in advance.
    100s of Ways to make money online @ MoneyPantry
    Looking for honest web hosting reviews? Check out HostDispatch

  2. #2
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    24,101
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blogstash.com View Post
    when I take the actual "validated" file that it has given me
    Not quite sure what you mean by that. The validator points out errors, but doesn't fix them for you.

    Sometimes there can be many errors that are cause by one or two mistakes early in the file that cause a cascade of errors down the page, so don't lose heart. There may just be a few typos in there. To help further, though, we'd need to see the page in question and have a look at the validator results. Or at least post a screen shot of the validator erros so we can help you interpret them.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

    Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

    Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

  3. #3
    Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    A Maze of Twisty Little Passages
    Posts
    6,316
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ralph, I believe the OP was talking about TIDY http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input+with_options having checked "Clean up Markup with HTML-Tidy"? I assume the Blog is dynamic and if so that might be causing some errors and the Tidy Lint isn't prefect either. Though like was mentioned cascading errors can occur.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xhtmlcoder View Post
    Ralph, I believe the OP was talking about TIDY http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input+with_options having checked "Clean up Markup with HTML-Tidy"? I assume the Blog is dynamic and if so that might be causing some errors and the Tidy Lint isn't prefect either. Though like was mentioned cascading errors can occur.
    Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about.
    100s of Ways to make money online @ MoneyPantry
    Looking for honest web hosting reviews? Check out HostDispatch

  5. #5
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean by that. The validator points out errors, but doesn't fix them for you.

    Sometimes there can be many errors that are cause by one or two mistakes early in the file that cause a cascade of errors down the page, so don't lose heart. There may just be a few typos in there. To help further, though, we'd need to see the page in question and have a look at the validator results. Or at least post a screen shot of the validator erros so we can help you interpret them.
    Thanks for the reply. I am talking about "Clean up Markup with HTML-Tidy" that outputs the valid code for your invalid codes.
    I dont knwo if this helps or not, but here is the page on validator.w3.org with my results on it.
    I am testing it from my blog BlogStash.com.

    Thank you both in advance.
    100s of Ways to make money online @ MoneyPantry
    Looking for honest web hosting reviews? Check out HostDispatch


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •