SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review My Site - Random YouTube Video Generator

Please review my site and feel free to post different things I can do to improve the site.

http://www.YouTubeRandomVideo.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you can add a length of video also as a choice when selecting what kind of random video it will display

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your wrapper is 768 px in width but the content is going outside of that for some reason.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the idea is to have one thing on screen, just the video, then it is important to to not have to scroll. I would prefer if the video adjusted to the resolution of the screen so that the scroll bar didn't show up. The one button you have is not that good. I would have the social media buttons and the next button be all on the same line and little smaller.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't YouTube do something like this? Can't I go to a social media website like Reddit for random videos? I'm trying to think of reasons to come back to the website. What's your selling message?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The page seems a little wide, wider than it needs to be.
    I'm having to scroll horizontally to see the right hand menu.

Maybe bring it in a little?
    Also some video options would be great. I know it's a randomiser, but maybe add options for Video length, rating?
    Cueburst - Support System
    FAQ Knowledge Base, Ticket Area and more.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my first review here so I hope this is the kind of feedback you want.

This looks like a fun site for those "i'm bored" moments. The simple interface is good. Here are my suggestions:

Add a Select button next to the video category on the right. When I select a category, nothing happens. I was never able to get one category of video to show.

When mousing over the Download Video and Download MP3 links on the right, keep the link text visible and use a pointer cursor. These links now turn white and show a text-style cursor.

Display the name and creator of the video at all times. The name of the video is currently only visible when it is paused.

Remove the words "The video is playing" from the right. This appears even when the video is paused, and I am not sure this is necessary.

Add a safe search filter to prevent showing videos with profanity, violence, or mature content. Several of the videos that were generated for me were definitely NSFW. With this filter and working categories, this may be a good site for kids to watch.

Display the site name and logo. I assume you want people to know what site they are on?

I viewed this in Firefox 7.0.1, Chrome 14, IE 9, and Safari 5.1.1 on a 1600x900 screen. I got the same results in all browsers.

The site also renders well on my android phone.

I hope you find my suggestions helpful.
    Last edited by enthusiast; Oct 26, 2011 at 09:40. Reason: fixed grammar mistakes

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've added a few new features:

Now when you select a category it'll auto change the video. And you can now select a max video length of No Limit, 5 Minutes, 10 Minutes, or 30 Minutes.

Please let me know what you think of these new features.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

manymanyvideo

I think is much more better

http://www.manymanyvideo.com

no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont think the idea will work but you need to provide atleast 10 to 20 videos on single page to be shown randomly.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha this is a funny concept- but an interesting one nonetheless. I don't think the website design really matters with a concept like this. I'd focus on building more backlinks for popularity.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need a name? logo, slogan over it, for starters! ? I need to get it instanly? -understand what i have to do..

Opening page maybe needs categories choice!

I got bob marley and the whalers! so stopped it immediately from playing...

A rating system would be the next idea for me! everything fitted onto my screen though! - and the video played ok! no probs their... speed wise etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there are ever any issues/suggestions to the website please email at: support@youtuberandomvideo.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youtube can sue for branding their name as part of the domain name! Congrats u just wasted some money.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just an adsense thing, but my understanding of ads on websites is that it doesn't do much good to put an ad below the threshold line. In your case, the add is below the "Next Video" button, which is pretty much the entire functionality of this page. There's no real reason the user would scroll down more than once because there's nothing further to see, really. Perhaps if you do something like this format in the future, you should put a box ad on the side instead.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprisingly I have a 3.4% CTR and not many people have to scroll(unless you have a small screen). But I'll look into moving it as it might increase the CTR.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you code this site yourself? You could probably make a mobile version of this really easily.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teknoaxe View Post
    Did you code this site yourself? You could probably make a mobile version of this really easily.
    Yea. I wrote it all on my own. It was actually used for a study at a college to analyse the randomness or YouTube (idk what exactly).

As for mobile version I made an Android App https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...myoutubevideos. It's not the best as I wrote it before I knew Java, but it gets the Job done.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of the site, never heard of a site/idea like this before. Maybe add some kind of design to it to make it more attractive.