SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first ever very basic website - please help!

Could you please le me know what you think about my website www.wayforwardenterprise.co.uk?

I am completely inexperienced and just built it following the steps of one of the sitepoint books. I am aware that it needs lots of improvement but would you please look at it and let me know what you think I could do better?

Thank you so much.

Ana

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a beginner you have done well. The color combination is very good to me.
    Please complete your BLOG page ASAP. Because this page will carry the impression of website.
    Don't forget to start the OnPage SEO.
    All the best.

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hi Portana,

I think you've done well with your first site. The main problem I have with it is the font size, which at 12px is pretty small and may be hard to read for folk with less-than-perfect vision. As a general rule, it is a good idea to set font size at 100%, because that respects the default size the user has set as being comfortable for them. The other problem is the colour of the text under "Useful Links". The dark green is really hard to see against the dark background, especially at that small size. I find this Colour Contrast Analyser tool really helpful for checking combinations of colours for good visibility. After all, you don't want to put all that effort into building an attractive site, and then find some of your visitors can't read it.

Apart from that one reservation, I like your colour scheme and your layout is clear and uncluttered.

A word of advice for any site you build: always check your code through the W3C validator, because this will pick up the little typos and daft mistakes we all make, which can prevent a page displaying properly. If you need help interpreting the results, you can always ask in the forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a start it's not too bad. As TechnoBear says the Useful links are pretty hard to read. Don't hesitate to make your menu larger, it's a bit small. Don't be shy in using larger fonts too, reading on a dark background is never easy.
    I know you're starting but anyway I am missing some sort of making your business look real and not only virtual. Now you're definitely looking to unreal for me. Add a Testimony section with actual people talking about their experiences, name places, show projects, etc.
    Pretty funny, yesterday I was just seeing a TV show about a company similar to what you're doing, looking at their website could give you some ideas : http://www.terracycle.net
    Jean-Luc
    Corobori WebDesign
    Working in the Concepcion area, Chile, since 1999
    Follow us on Twitter

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for your feedback.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a beginner the sites looks pretty good. I would change the page background color from black to something else like light gray. And then make the background where the text sits white. There are a few other things here and there that I might change, but overall I think it serves its purpose. Maybe check out Drupal or Wordpress later on when you want to start writing more content for the site, because you can buy or download many themes for free.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would benefit from a two-toned (green-white/gray) look. Too green.