Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facebook vs Linkedin?

Hello friends,
    We all know that today's competition is very tuff.More social networking site is beat own competitors.Then my question is which networking site is more powerful in professional way?Your option is:-

Facebook
    Twitter
    Linkedin

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The position of the Facebook on Alaxa is second, position of the Tweeter is 9th & position of Linkedin is 12th. I think Facebook is the most powerful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook wins ...!!!!!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what you're going for. Certain social networks are good for certain things. Facebook has a vast consumer base for instance, but if you want to target professionals and other businesses, LinkedIn is a better place for your money. Twitter is great for everyone, because both professionals and regular consumers use it. In summary, for B2C: Facebook. For B2B: LinkedIn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreyYu7 View Post
    It depends on what you're going for. Certain social networks are good for certain things. Facebook has a vast consumer base for instance, but if you want to target professionals and other businesses, LinkedIn is a better place for your money. Twitter is great for everyone, because both professionals and regular consumers use it. In summary, for B2C: Facebook. For B2B: LinkedIn.
    Exactly. know your market and where it will be looking.
    To a certain degree no reason not to cover as many bases as possible. You can link Facebok, Twitter and Linkedin so you can update all three in one go.

SitePoint Zealot coloradojaguar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had forgotten that you can update all three twitter, facebook and linkedin via settings. But, static or rehashed posts don't get as much traffic as targeted posts. It is interesting to see how each ranks on Alaxa. I have also recently head about twitter stats. tracking. Does anyone know how that feature operates?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With over 750 million active user, Facebook is the biggest audience pool on planet

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babulal View Post
    With over 750 million active user, Facebook is the biggest audience pool on planet
    No they don't. Google has a much bigger active user base than FaceBook has. So does Microsoft.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreyYu7 View Post
    Couldn't agree more, B2B LinkedIn is King.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Google and Microsoft have bigger active user base but they don't bigger audience pool than Facebook

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    No they don't. Google has a much bigger active user base than FaceBook has. So does Microsoft.
    Not in a social capacity. It's clear Facebook is the biggest engageable network but does that mean the best? It depends. Recently there have been a few articles about recruiters coming to Facebook over LinkedIn as more of the population uses it and more often. However what many find is that people reject this interaction on Facebook... as a personal based network people don't want those professional requests coming in, nor can recruiters find people easily given the privacy lockdown on most profiles. It's the wrong medium today, but of course Facebook is working to open things up and change that.

Take a B2B manufacturer like Caterpillar. Many of their blue-collar customers use Facebook in their personal lives but professionally? Not as much. As a result CAT runs their own forums, blog and works in other niche sites to engage and with great results. They're in the big networks too, but different opportunities in different places. http://www.businessesgrow.com/2011/0...dia-marketing/

LinkedIn is a great fit for recruiting and viewing profiles but they have an issue -- stickiness. People sign up, fill out their profile, update their profile, add connections, but while groups, answers and other sub-features have helped bring them back, the interaction frequency is painfully low compared to more topical or personal sites.

On the other hand, leading B2C brands have established large social followings on Facebook [as well as Twitter and niche groups] and bases with increasingly strong results to product development, support, commerce, indeed their business is evolving from the interactions.

Most businesses benefit from using all the networks but which is best, or which to focus on, depends on what you are doing, who you are reaching and what engagement means for you.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For professionals, LinkedIn is better than Facebook. LinkedIn is purely for professionals networking together while Facebook is for the generalpublic and has no classification in itself. But marketing wise, Facebook is better than the rest.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umbeehosting View Post
    For professionals, LinkedIn is better than Facebook. LinkedIn is purely for professionals networking together while Facebook is for the general public and has no classification in itself. But marketing wise, Facebook is better than the rest.
    That's true of the demographics but not necessarily the engagement. Most everyone on Linkedin is on Facebook... but what they expect from interactions differ. By the same token, people use linkedin less often giving a far lower opportunity to engage. There's no absolutes... just lots of possibilities.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mujahid.shaikh View Post
    Facebook is the best website to promote business. In Facebook you can create a fan page, FBML pages, Newsletter Form and many more...
    Facebook itself screams non-professional. Very few people would go there to look for anything business related and so most business promotion there would be viewed as spam. People looking for business related info look in places that have a higher reputation for business professionalism than Facebook's 0/10.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook itself screams non-professional. Very few people would go there to look for anything business related and so most business promotion there would be viewed as spam. People looking for business related info look in places that have a higher reputation for business professionalism than Facebook's 0/10.
    True for perhaps pure B2B, but it depends what you are marketing. Look at the big brands, they all promote facebook. Do they get business via this? Probably not, but its promoting the brand, staying current and by having a facebook page perhaps even helping with SEO.

I don't think it would detract from pretty much any business to have a facebook page.

IMO what puts me off of a business, or individual is when they send constant irrelevant information whether it be by tweeting, facebook updates, Linkedin shares or even plain email.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're aware that facebook has a large number of active users compare to any other SN site, but if youre considering professional approach and direct business matters then LinkedIn is way better

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webmastergrace View Post
    Hello friends,
    We all know that today's competition is very tuff.More social networking site is beat own competitors.Then my question is which networking site is more powerful in professional way?Your option is:-

Facebook
    Twitter
    Linkedin
    Facebook is upper.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, facebook is number one. I can connect people to people and others relaxation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a no contest, Facebook hands down wins. On the other hand, those 3 are different from each other.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you said business promotion are you talking b2b or b2c? Ads or involvement? Brands are clearly well engaged in Facebook but I would agree... users don't go there looking to be marketed too [not that we go anywhere for that] or for professional type interactions [save the small chunk that uses it for networking]. Brand engagement is much more about engaging for offers, support, validation via q&a, and affinity with names that are a party of your every day life.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The question is very similar to asking which is the better form of transport - a bicycle or a space shuttle. As with that transport question the question about facebork vs linkedin has an answer of either depending on what you are trying to achieve. The two have almost as little overlap in their purpose as the shuttle and bike do.

Facebork does not and doesn't even try to do what linkedin does so if what you are after is what linkedin exists to do then there is only one choice.
    Stephen J Chapman

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    When you said business promotion are you talking b2b or b2c? Ads or involvement? Brands are clearly well engaged in Facebook but I would agree... users don't go there looking to be marketed too [not that we go anywhere for that] or for professional type interactions [save the small chunk that uses it for networking]. Brand engagement is much more about engaging for offers, support, validation via q&a, and affinity with names that are a party of your every day life.
    Ted you're making excellent and well informed points, which I totally agree with, but you might as well be speaking Swahili for all the impact they'll have.

Facebook itself screams non-professional. Very fwt people would go there to look for anything business related and so most business promotion there would be viewed as spam.
    If that's true, then how do you explain that every major brand on the planet has a FB page (except google, but I'm sure you know why that is). IBM want to look unprofessional? Microsoft? Coca cola? Adidas?

FB is one of the most recognisable brands ever, worth over $100Billion, in what way does this fail to meet your personal definition of whats professional and what isn't? Do you have a FB page?
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook wins hands down.

I don't get the popularity of Linkedin, it's such a tacky social site
    Last edited by kohoutek; Oct 20, 2011 at 09:00.

SitePoint Enthusiast mackyanderson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook is far more better than linkedin. As far as I know Linkedin was made for a business and jobseekers, it is a means of letting them both unite into one social networking site. Facebook is more easy to use and more user friendly making all kind of people use it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Ted you're making excellent and well informed points, which I totally agree with, but you might as well be speaking Swahili for all the impact they'll have.
    Haha and thanks. Luckily most of the day I get paid to make the ideas happen... regardless of what language they seem to come across in. So I'm willing to deal with a little "wool over the eyes" when I come chime in here
    - Ted S