SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Foxpro -> MySQL ?

Ok, I have a Foxpro db at work and used Delphi to build an app using it... In Delphi you can 'upsize' to Oracle or Ingress db's quite 'easily' is there anyway I can transfer the db to MySQL? (I'm trying to convince everyone that we should port over from Foxpro/Oracle...) I know I can import the db itself, but...

I need to be able to keep the constants (field lengths etc.) and I really need to keep the referential integrity (Primary & Foriegn Keys)... can this be done(not manually)? And does anyone have a script to do it?

Help would be greatly appreciated!
    You know that somewhere,
    there's someone who's out there,
    who thinks like you do...

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll find 2 converters for foxpro here: http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/SEC673.html

If you use MySQL 4 you should be able to keep the foreign keys but you'll probably need to rebuild them manually.

Otherwise make sure you know what you're getting yourself into

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oof yes, foxpro has weird field types. i just used the "upsize wizard" to convert an old Db to sql server yesterday.

the "upsize wizard", wasn't too magical. it was more like an "upsize harry potter".

it changed the datatype of all my numeric columns to "float", which broke the entire admin section for the site i was working on. luckily, changing the floats to int in SQL server was the solution, and didn't take too long.

but yes, heed harry's advice. foxpro doesn't play well with others. be careful around him.