SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Tip of the Day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

I really like the Tip of the Day on the mainpage! The graphics use on it and the popup are very cool...although the incomplete navbar on the popup looks a little odd...however I guess it make sense, I can't think of any other way to set it up.

You guys mentioned something about making it available for other sites to use? Dang you, I was planning something similar on my new site. But kudos anyhow!

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks Chris for pointing that out to me, I hadn't even noticed that yet.

I think it is a very cool adition and I think maybee it is a good idea like chris said to make it available to other sites and even create an active desktop for it for Win98 viewers.

Fletch

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for mentioning this- I don't know if I would have seen it.

Could it be placed further up on the page so that it would get noticed? I think that its important that people see it right off, as this is the kind of thing that could keep people coming back day after day. (I know I love stuff like that. I visit Webmonkey all the time just to see what their monkey bite is - I don't really do anything else there usually, but at least they get a daily hit from me!).

Take Care,

Adam

Matt Mickiewicz
    SitePoint Community Guest
    The entire idea of the daily tip feed (programmed by Kevin) is to provide it to other sites... we're going to test it out for a couple of days on SitePoint.com before making it available to other sites.

------------------
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder/Administrator
    http://www.SitePoint.com - Resources to Build and Grow Your Site!
    matt@sitepoint.com

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm. Interesting idea, and the tip's will doubtless be good. Maybe put it above the buttons, so people can see it without having to scroll. BEcuase I mised it at first as well.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't put stupid tips like some other sites have.

*Always optimize your HTML code
    *The more professional, the better
    *Make your pages look good
    *Don't have any broken links

One word about those kind of tips...DUH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by d3v:
    Just don't put stupid tips like some other sites have.

*Always optimize your HTML code
    *The more professional, the better
    *Make your pages look good
    *Don't have any broken links

One word about those kind of tips...DUH
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree more, there have been SO MANY articles written on how to build websites (or tips given on the subject) that many of them are becoming redundant...the tip up now (about load time) rates about a 4 or 5 in terms of "Duh Factor", but it's specific enough to be worthwhile...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I luv sites with tips and 1 or 2 line web ideas - keep them coming! I just want to thank Matt & Company for the following <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>DESIGN: If your site takes longer than 30 seconds to load, most visitors will go someplace else<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As my system will often load websites from 10 to 15 to 30 to beyond (forget Flash I could be at my desk all morning waiting!) - if I only viewed sites that loaded in *4 Sec* (as one member told us) I wouldn't see anything! Including SitePoint which can take time for me to view *only* because of my modem limits. But I wait because it is worth it!

_NOTE_ I don't deny that keeping your site to a short load time is *crucial* for sites today to be competitive so I agree no one should be kept waiting any longer than necessary or they will click away - people just aren't patient much anymore...rush, rush, rush!

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you guys read the explanations? If not just click on "Explain". Not only does it give you more information but it includes links to related articles to help make the tip come true.

Also remember that at one time you didn't know or care about site load times. Not everyone who builds a website is at the same knowledge level here. If we were, we wouldn't need to ask each other questions in these forums. The tip that is "DUH" to you might be "Oh Wow, I didn't know that" to the next visitor and it will encourage them to learn more and build better websites.

It seems to me that the main purpose of the Daily Tips is to get the all-powerful page views to increase while providing quick information. It also seems like something similar could be useful on any site.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited June 12, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by wluke:

Also remember that at one time you didn't know or care about site load times. Not everyone who builds a website is at the same knowledge level here. If we were, we wouldn't need to ask each other questions in these forums. The tip that is "DUH" to you might be "Oh Wow, I didn't know that" to the next visitor and it will encourage them to learn more and build better websites.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always read the full explanations. I'm not saying that everyone knows that load time is important, but overall I'd imagine that a VERY high percentage of the webmasters here have had experience reading this type of stuff and are beyond beginner stuff...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should probably put a different page in http://www.sitepoint.com/tipfeed then

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time Out! Is this going to be a site only for the upper elite or a network for everyone? Are we going to have to take a test of knowledge to visit? Did you all start out with instant knowledge, a $3000 PC and every software on the market? Own a domain (make that multiple domains) and never, never use a free site or feature - heaven forbid!

I started with Webmaster-Resources over a year ago (don't ask me how I found it!) and I didn't know HTML from CGI from FTP...This is was the first webmaster site that I bookmarked and kept coming back as I was learning so much. I know how to make a link open a new window or revise basic HTML tags because I learned it here! But I have seen others ask these same questions and I just feel great that I can answer and help...

I have been exposed to all facets of web design and languages via this site. My bookmarks reflect this!

I can't count the amount of tips, links and help that I have received from the articles, the ole' Dr Design or the great people from the forums...it is priceless! And I have let many others know along the way...

The site can be and should be varied enough to include us all - just think of the many viewers that would be turned away if it became so exclusive! And I wonder how many people don't post their questions on the forum because they don't want to appear foolish...I didn't care after awhile, I just asked my questions anyway, gave a few answers myself, left my 2-cents (often) and had my problems resolved with respect each time!

SitePoint is the best global network of internet and web information ever!

Boy that wasn't WebKat's usual 2-cents, that was a couple of bucks...

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

[This message has been edited by WebKat (edited June 13, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa whoa, chill out WebKat! No one's saying anything drastic, a few of us just think that there are a few things out there that are VERY widely known...

Besides...it works both ways...the idea is to provide tips that will be the most useful to the most people...and I think that means we can skip all the SUPER BASIC stuff...this includes (IMHO) loading time, making your site browser compatible, not using giant background images with unreadable text, etc...

I am in no way saying we should exlude lesser-known people, I'm sure I'll learn plenty from the tips...and I used to make many common mistakes, but I'm convinced that an overwhelming majority of the webmasters here can handle all the tips beyond the bare bones basics...

Heck, just take a poll...this is all just my opinion, if the poll results come out against me, then obviously it's the right thing to do!

------------------
    Chris Bowyer

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest that if you want better tips then write them up and the accompanying articles that go with them.

Tips like that are supposed to be quick and easy. You can't get too detailed on them or they won't work. Creating a database of at least 365 tips is a lot more work than you think it is. Sitepoint is using them as a way to bring material to the forefront that might get lost in the shuffle otherwise.

You would probably be surprised to find out the real numbers of professional developers to the number of newcomers who visit Sitepoint. My guess is that the newcomers probably outnumber the professionals by at least 10 to 1. The reason you don't see them is that most people that visit the web site are not registered in the forums or don't post often. Most of them probably are overwhelmed at first and don't even look at the forums. This can be proven by previous quotes by the Sitepoint Admins that there are 28,000 newsletter subscribers and roughly 1,600 registered forum members.

Please note: That I am not an employee or administrator of the Sitepoint network. I donate my time and abilities as a moderator to help everyone.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne,

I understand and agree with that...I'm not talking about professionals here...I'm talking about anyone above a TOTAL beginner...and even some of them! Tips can be simple, but they can also be TOO simple.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Wayne. If the majority of the visitors can learn from the tips, then it is a good idea to have them.

Another thing - just because you are an outstanding programmer doesn't mean you have mastered the search engines. Having these tips provides everyone with general ideas to improve their site. Because they are an advanced at one thing doesn't mean they are advanced in all things. Everyone has room to learn.

I admit it - many of these tips are a little too shallow for me. But I want them anyway. It is best for the SitePoint community.

------------------
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    Get more hits, for free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by WebKat:
    SitePoint is the best global network of internet and web information ever!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Applauds WebKat - you couldn't have said it better.

------------------
    Methven Online - www.methven.org.uk
    Subtle Measures - www.subtle-measures.co.uk
    Scotjokes - www.scotjokes.co.uk (Coming Soon!)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I didn't mean to start something like this. I didn't quote any specific tips, just ones which are common sense. They are the equivelant of "keep your house clean," or "don't drive cross-country with an empty tank of gas."

The only one that may have been unknown to newbies is the first one, "*Always optimize your HTML code." But the rest are common sense--you do want good things, right?

SitePoint Cofounder Mark Harbottle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will try to keep the tips as unique and as useful as possible. Some will be aimed at beginners and others at more experienced users. We will try to keep a good mix in there anyway and gauge which tips get the best response.

Hey, maybe we should allow you to enter a rating on each tip, so you can let us know which ones are useless and which ones you like... Wake up Kevin, more work to do ;-)

Down the track we might even implement different tips on each of the network sites, so on promotionbase.com you will only see promotion tips, and so on.

By the way, any tips you think are worthy for inclusion, send them to kevin@sitepoint.com and he'll add them in for you.

I'm glad you all like it anyway.

Cheers!

------------------
    Mark Harbottle
    Co-Founder, SitePoint Network

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>if I only viewed sites that loaded in *4 Sec* (as one member told us) I wouldn't see anything! Including SitePoint which can take time for me to view *only* because of my modem limits. But I wait because it is worth it!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having gone from a Cable connection to a 28.8 modem link for the next three months, I've begun surfing with images turned off. SitePoint is pleasantly quick and readable without images (although I don't get to admire the pretty graphics I did for the feature articles... ).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Hey, maybe we should allow you to enter a rating on each tip, so you can let us know which ones are useless and which ones you like... Wake up Kevin, more work to do ;-)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah crap, and here I thought I was going to get two PHP/MySQL articles done this week...

We definitely will accept tip submissions! Credit will be given where credit is due.

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OFFTOPIC: Speaking of them articles, is Part 4 coming out soon? I love those things! I go into a depression 6 days after each one and can only last so long!

------------------
    Chris Bowyer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part 4 is coming out Wednesday or Thursday this week (depending on what part of the world you live in).

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about all those tips from the tribune???

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adam,

You'll find that 90% of the tips in the feed are rewritten versions of tips that appeared in the Tribune. We'll be progressively adding new tips over time, but the Tribune provided a great initial stock to work with.

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.