SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Win2000 Server help for a UNIX guy

I've been running UNIX/Mac OS X/and Apache for some time, but I haven't touched a windows box since Windows 98/NT 4 hit the streets. Of course this is all about to change with an offer my company just recieved on a new dedicated server running Win2000. Can someone please help me understand a few things about Windows... pardon me if these sound like dumb questions:

1) PHP or ASP? I know PHP well, is there any reason to move to ASP, and is it easy to setup PHP on Windows, and can all of my scripts run without modifications on a windows server.

2) MySQL/Postgres v. MS SQL. This box comes with MS SQL preinstalled, any major advatages over the previously stated options? Syntax differences? PHP problems?

3) Apache? Possible? Needed?

Sorry, but I'm in an unfamiliar land right now, just asking for directions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. PHP/ASP
    I'm not touching that issue with a ten foot pole...
    ASP.NET is a different league of course
    If you know PHP well, use PHP, no reason to move to ASP
    Easy to setup? Well, I could do it...

2. "This box comes with MS SQL preinstalled"
    Then use MS Sql! (much better than MySql)
    Syntax differences=yes
    Use MySql / PHP in existing applications, and MS Sql / ASP.NET in new

3. Apache
    Possible=yes, Needed=?
    Maybe Apache/PHP is faster/better than IIS/PHP

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also say the PHP against ASP question is a difficult one. All I can say (from bitter experience) is that using PHP will make it more portable than ASP if you have to move back to Unix, you can allegedly run ASP on UNIX but I wouldn't trust it.

The PHP install on 2000 I found really easy, I did it about 6 months ago and can't remember anything going wrong, so it must have been problem free !

If the machine as MS SQL running, use it (after making sure all the licences are valid) If the licences don't cover what you want to do, the install for MySQL is very easy on 2000 but the functionality is much lower than MS SQL. Postgres I found to be a nightmare install on 2000 and gave up after a couple of days trying, you have to install an emulation layer first, then install it into that layer. As a database (on unix !!) it very good, I've been an Oracle developer for over 10 years and it's a very close copy !!!!

Whether to run Apache is a question I really couldn't answer fully, all I can say is that I've never had any problems with IIS.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am interested in this as well, as I have a win2k server cd sitting around the house. Is there any good websites that give you step by step on how to setup and configure a win2k server for hosting customers etc?