SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my website, created for webmasters, based on Alexa

I was thinking for a while to use Alexa ranks table and create some useful tools for myself. When I did I realized that it can be useful for others too. The design is done intentionally very simple, without single graphical element. Some would say the website is for geeks only. I don't know, maybe. However this simple web site based on a robust back-end consisting of MySQL DB with about 100 tables and 7 cronjobs. The website is fully automated, it updates by itself with fresh data every day. The website is a combination of 3 tools:

1. Shows Alexa rank changes or traffic changes for different periods of time. For example:
    sitepoint.com 1080 -30 -75 -206 means that sitepoint.com is loosing its traffic during last quarter

2. Searching keywords in top ~2 million domain names. You can use this tool during the search for your new domain name or for researching the internet. For example, the keyword ".ky" will bring all domains names registered in Cayman Islands

3. Search by category in top 1000 websites. Did you ever wonder who are most popular (successful) dating sites, SEO sites etc. This tool will help you to do just that. However keep in mind that this is still work in progress.

Thanks for reading. Please give your opinion, your feedback your recommendations to make this website more appealing and more useful. http://www.top10k.com/
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Stevie D; Mar 28, 2012 at 05:15. Reason: URL added

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the clean utilitarian design. However, on first arriving I had to hunt for a moment to find the small orange buttons that take you to the different sections. Perhaps larger buttons with a clear call-to-action or you may even try a test where you place the search box on your homepage under section 2 to see if you get better utilization of your system. Good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea of the website I think its great but I would use a better design, more colours and a better logo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with sfifabian that design and also navigations should me modifed and iproved!
    Submit your URL for free at Open Directory www.livewebmap.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a user were to happen upon this site from a search engine and did not have the explanation above, it would be difficult to know what the site was about quickly enough before they might click away. I would separate the different tools and put them on separate pages with nice explanations and buttons at the top to navigate.

When I view this site through a laptop I have to scroll down to find the other sections for tools.

In addition, I would be wondering what "Alexa" is? Maybe an information or about page to further or better explain the tools and actions.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the website could do with more color. The content looks fine but it could stand out more.

Colors could also help with the tables.

The concept of the site and the data inself is great. The table are very large on some pages and might cause people not to scroll all the way down the page to find the comments.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments guys,
    1. I know, that I'm not a graphic designer and I didn't want to hire one. So instead of making amateur, tasteless pictures I've decided to go exclusively with CSS and HTML.
    2. I consider Internet more like a source of information and less like an art gallery.
    3. My motto is - unnecessary information is worse than disinformation
    4. I've created a site that I like - clear from nonsense and to the point. You don't have to spend hours to understand what it is about.

One last point.

There are 1000s of websites, mostly blogs who collect, catalog and share the information about best sites on specific topic, like "classifieds" for example. The main criteria of the site's value used on those websites is the traffic they get, hence the Alexa rank. The information in those websites become obsolete very fast because of Alexa rank changes. On top10k.com - "categories(3)" accumulate all this information in one page and it is always up to date.

Thanks again, please give me some more feedback.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Stevie,

Your site is nice but it could have been done better. I know you are not designer but website needs to look good to attract more people.
    So, U have to make some changes to it.