User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

z-index on centered elements..

hi,

how can you apply z-index to centered elements (z-index only works with positioned elements; positioned elements can't be centered... whether I center with margin:0 auto; or with text-align:center in containing element (body in my case); as soon as I apply position:relative; or position:absolute; it won't be centered anymore...)

thank you..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like there's more going on to mess up the centering than you explained. Here's a fiddle that shows a centered element can have position/z-index. Can you post the actual HTML/CSS, or link to a live example?
    I'm the web overlord for Graphic Business Systems

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I second sdleihssirhc's comment that there is something else going on here. As sdleihssirhc's nice example shows, position: relative doesn't affect the element's centering at all.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maya90 View Post
    hi,

how can you apply z-index to centered elements (z-index only works with positioned elements; positioned elements can't be centered... whether I center with margin:0 auto; or with text-align:center in containing element (body in my case); as soon as I apply position:relative; or position:absolute; it won't be centered anymore...)

thank you..
    No, as the others have said position:relative on its own will not affect centering at all (unlike position:absolute) and will allow the z-index to be applied..