SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Next Wave - Small Web Designers Take Over

These comments are in regards to the SitePoint.com article 'The Next Wave - Small Web Designers Take Over'.

Having worked for a design studio that struggled to make profit on prices the market has come to expect I concurr with the views expressed. I have long since believed web design is now a cottage industry. Only web applications that integrate with back office systems can command prices that make it worthwhile for web design studios with high overheads to be in the market. Those of us in the small league producing web designs for business need a great deal of business experience as well as technical knowledge to develop sites that add real value to a clients business. Design prowess is secondary these days.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you especially with regard to "business experience", and specifically marketing/selling your services and your company ... I work in a small design shop in a very small city where people think a database driven website should cost about $100.00 because the "internet is easy and everyone is sitting on beaches with laptops drinking fruity drinks earning millions" ... I've got to rage against this mentality everyday.

Add to the fact that as more people are getting more web/computer savvy that they can just more or less do a simple page/few page brochure site on their own via a template service. This is cool in my books because they probably are getting most value for their dollar if all they want are a couple pictures, their address and contact info and a brief writeup about their company/service.

Anyway, the future really will be to offer quality application-based services to other small business that will make certain day to day operations for them easier and more streamlined. But writing the app is the easy part, getting people to see the need and pay for it is a totally other ballgame.