SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Recommendations for the best way to build a community site for musicians with Joomla?

    Hi, as the title says, I'm trying to figure out the best way to build a community site for amateur musicians. The functionality only needs to be fairly basic in that it will allow people to set up a public profile and interact with other users, and maybe upload some mp3 type files. I'd like to use joomla since I already know how it works but there are numerous plugins/components that seem to be for musical communities and I was wondering if anyone has any practical experience with any of them?

    Also, if there's a third party site that does this already, llike blgospot does for blogs, I see no point in re-inventing the wheel but again hope that someone can recommend on or point me in the right direction?

    Thanks in advance, Rich

    Edit: Dammit, made a spelling mistake in the thread title, don't you hate that
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  2. #2
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Fixed the error, moved the thread to CMS.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  3. #3
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was no error Linda, unless it was asking in the first place, and moving this thread won't solve your problem.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  4. #4
    dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    spikeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    13,788
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hi Rich, I dont now of any blogspot type sites (except for myspace but lets pretend that never EVER existed!) but there are facilities available to help musicians upload and store music.

    One that I am looking into for a similar project is Soundcloud.com It lets users upload sound bytes and tracks to their server and link directly to it. I havent had chance to find an API or anything but its on my todo list.

    You should be able to hook a joomla installation into it somehow.


    Edit:

    Linda meant fixed the error in your thread title
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

  5. #5
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    Hi Rich, I dont now of any blogspot type sites (except for myspace but lets pretend that never EVER existed!) but there are facilities available to help musicians upload and store music.

    One that I am looking into for a similar project is Soundcloud.com It lets users upload sound bytes and tracks to their server and link directly to it. I havent had chance to find an API or anything but its on my todo list.

    You should be able to hook a joomla installation into it somehow.
    Thank you very much, I'll check it out.


    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    Edit:

    Linda meant fixed the error in your thread title
    Ah... given that I'd just been given an infraction and was pretty pissed off about it I might be forgiven for the mnisunderstanding. But then I would have thought I'd have been forgiven in the first place for making what appeared to be a thread bump, but wasn't.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  6. #6
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well, lucky for me, I don't have a problem to solve and lucky for you that I moved this thread to a forum where you have already gotten one suggestion that may be fruitful. Sorry that you got miffed over the infraction, but I am of the opinion that rules work for either everyone or no one. You knew why you bumped the thread, but you didn't make it clear in your one-word post. However, that 's all water under the bridge sine you found a friend who would reverse the infraction for you.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  7. #7
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Well, lucky for me, I don't have a problem to solve and lucky for you that I moved this thread to a forum where you have already gotten one suggestion that may be fruitful. Sorry that you got miffed over the infraction, but I am of the opinion that rules work for either everyone or no one. You knew why you bumped the thread, but you didn't make it clear in your one-word post. However, that 's all water under the bridge sine you found a friend who would reverse the infraction for you.
    You should have PM'd me with that Linda. I think this thread can be closed now.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  8. #8
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You should have kept the discussion private but you chose to bring it into the forums. Therefore, you reap what you sow.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •