mozilla?????

Could you anyone tell me about mozilla?

What is it good for it??

Thanks for your time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mozilla is an open-source web browser and toolkit, designed for standards compliance, performance and portability. Mozilla.org provides binaries for testing and feedback.

(****** or Deleted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply the best browser availalbe

http://www.mozilla.org

Jordan Windebank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Wizardx8
    I agree
    The CSS implementation is much better than the one in IE

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which one should I download. HOw can I download form mozilla.

Thanks

(****** or Deleted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go to the main page at www.mozilla.org and on the right hand side you will see a box titled "Download Mozilla"...

Scroll down to "Mozilla 1.1" (latest stable release) and click the link that is appropriate for your operating system...

Download the file and run the installer
    Jordan Windebank

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded mozilla,but why mozilla is good for HTML,CSS and so on. Why I guess Mozilla is same as IE

Could you tell me what is the different bet Mozilla and IE with codes?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An example; IE5 and the box model bug
    The border and padding are added inside the element (i.e. a <div>), which is the exact opposite of the w3c specification
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#formatting-model
    http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/boxsizing/boxsizing.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'll point out that Mozilla is the browser technology that Netscape uses.

It was the first major IE competitor built from the ground up with standards-complaince as a high priority. Netscape 6+ was such a threat to IE, that IE followed it up by quickly releasing IE6/Win, with better standards-complaince than the idiosyncratic IE5/Win.

The box model bug that jofa points out was such a serious problem that it prevented any designer at all using standards-compliant CSS. At first, IE not too worried about this, perhaps because it would force designers to code for "Microsoft" browsers, but then it did a backflip by releasing the more standards-compliant IE6. I think IE5 is now just a massive embarrassment.

That's quite a simplification though...

----

edit: hey, I just found a bug in IE6...
    I was reading the http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/boxsizing/boxsizing.html link that jofa gave, and noticed some vertical text on the right had side of the page. Nifty, but try selecting it with your mouse cursor!
    Last edited by mmj; Oct 2, 2002 at 00:15.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Wizardx8

http://www.mozilla.org

Why do you guys prefer it over Opera?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    hey, I just found a bug in IE6...
    I was reading the http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/boxsizing/boxsizing.html link that jofa gave, and noticed some vertical text on the right had side of the page. Nifty, but try selecting it with your mouse cursor!
    That's the strange effect you get when you combine
    writing-mode: tb-rl;
    filter: flipH() flipV(); (equal to filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(Rotation=2))

However, if you change it to
    ...then you don't get the text in the direction bottom-top, but selecting the text is easier

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mserms

Why do you guys prefer it over Opera?
    Opera's good. It has a few idiosyncracies though, AFAIK. Before Mozilla was polished to the state it is now, Opera was one of the best.

Originally posted by jofa

That's the strange effect you get when you combine
    filter: flipH() flipV(); (equal to filter: progidXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(Rotation=2))

Thanks! I see what's happening now.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all. I know about CSS but I don't know about mozilla CSS. Could you tell me the link that I can learn about mozilla's CSS. Then I will know what is the different bet normal CSS and mozilla CSS.

thanks all

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a handy CSS2 reference. Mozilla is standards-compliant; it supports standard CSS2.

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/ref...s/css2ref.html

Therefore, there is no difference between 'normal' css and 'mozilla' CSS. You should know that that's the whole point of having a standard such as CSS, and that's what we've been trying to explain in this thread.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Mozilla is far superior browser with regards to rendering CSS and eXtensible Markup family; since in reality Mozilla 1.0 wasn't actually designed as a HTML browser. However, even the standard Mozilla is diverging by producing Mozilla Phoenix.

One of the reasons Opera is not as popular - apart from the inflated price tag - is because it doesn't tend to fully implement some of the DOM models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by xhtmlcoder
    However, even the standard Mozilla is diverging by producing Mozilla Phoenix.
    How so? I thought Phoenix was basically Mozilla without the bloat. I didn't think it compromised the standards-compliance ('least nothing major), but I'm checking up on that. Personally, my major gripes have to be the design (based on orbit which I never particularly liked) and the (now limited) prefs.

But it's only in version .2 (I'm on .1), so I'd expect some things that need ironing out. So far, it's shaping up to be a dandy 'ikkle browser, though. :-)

~~Ian

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Phoenix was basically Mozilla without the bloat. I didn't think it compromised the standards-compliance ('least nothing major)
    Phoenix is essentially a new front end for gecko, the mozilla.org rendering engine. So, same rendering engine, should render things the same

It is explicitly designed as a "lighter, simpler" version of Mozilla (the browser), which excludes the mailnews client, the IRC client, the DOM inspector, the Javascript Debugger and the HTML editor, and has a "cleaner" user interface. Hence a few of the preferences have disappeared for the sake of usability. Some of them will be back, as the developers move on (this is, Ian rightly points out, still only a 0.2 release). Some of the missing "extras" are already available as add-ons to phoenix.

Current download is about 7.5 MB, and it's expected to shrink further as they tidy up around the edges (the 0.2 release is about 1MB smaller than 0.1)

It also seems to be serving as a testbed for some things that don't yet exist in Mozilla (the browser), such as toolbar customisation and IE-style auto-formfilling (as opposed to the slightly different style already in mozilla)

As some people in the Mozilla community have said until they're blue in the face: mozilla is not (just) a browser. It's a toolkit, whose first and best-known application is a browser/mailnews/html editor suite. Other apps have been using it too, and more are now springing up all over the show: Galeon, Phoenix, OEone desktop, AOL's Mac browser, Compuserve and Chimera, just to name half-a-dozen off the top of my head.