SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: HTML-Kit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTML-Kit

I've found a text editor that is even cooler than Editplus (in many circumstances), and it is free. It also has hundreds of plugins available.

One of the standard plugins is an html validator and html tidy - useful for checking for unclosed tags, etc.

HTML-Kit. Have you heard of it?

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard it mentioned a few times but always fail to see what's so good about it?
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Fantastic.... Looks good for NOTHING. Will download it, through everything at it, see how good it really is..

Si
    Last edited by siphilp; Oct 1, 2002 at 08:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded it last week because I heard that it had HTML-tidy built-in. I did find parts of the interface rather confusing (i.e. they have four windows - edit, preview, split and output. I had a really hard time figuring out how to transfer my output code to the edit window). So, anyway, I got kinda frustrated and just went back to what I was using before (Dreamweaver MX and Homesite). HTML-Kit does have the best implementation of HTML-Tidy I've seen, and it's the only program I've been able to find that will "beautify" the actual code (removing extra spaces between tags and indenting everything right. Not as customizable as I'd like but better than nothing).
    Megan Jack
    Proud to be Canadian
    http://www.meganjack.com
    Moderator at The Webmaster Forums and EDevCafe Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Megs
    I had a really hard time figuring out how to transfer my output code to the edit window).
    That is too easy.
    Rightclick the Output window. First option in the rightclickmenu is "Copy Output to Editor".
    Or
    Click the yellow arrow in "tools" toolbar.
    Death --the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.

TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Megs
    I did find parts of the interface rather confusing (i.e. they have four windows - edit, preview, split and output. I had a really hard time figuring out how to transfer my output code to the edit window). So, anyway, I got kinda frustrated
    It's very configurable. You can choose which panels to display and move them around. I've configured it to look more like Editplus so I was more confortable with it.

There's so many features in it I'll never use them all, but that is a lot better than wanting a particular feature and it not being available.

Still learning how to use it. Great value though.

I don't use the html tidy button to tidy my code, because I use a lot of PHP and it doesn't do much anyway... but I do use it to check it for complaince and well-formedness.

I like the built-in preview feature that uses IE6.

I don't think it will completely replace editplus for me, but for developing web stuff in PHP, CSS, HTML, XML, it is very nice!

I haven't even checked to see if it has the find-in-files feature and the regular expression search-and-replace feature like editplus does. I bet it does.

The FTP features are great! It lets me edit files on the server easily without saving them, etc... but I prefer to do it the old way with a separate FTP app - so I have a local backup and there will be no discrepencies between local copy and the copy on the server.
    Last edited by mmj; Oct 2, 2002 at 04:49.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Indian

That is too easy.
    Rightclick the Output window. First option in the rightclickmenu is "Copy Output to Editor".
    Or
    Click the yellow arrow in "tools" toolbar.
    I found the yellow arrow eventually, but at first I didn't find that aspect of the program to be very intuitive at all and their help site was terrible. However, that could be because I'm so used to Homesite which runs all processes in the same window which I think is a whole lot more obvious.

What I meant about the customization is that I can't seem to customize how the "beautify" aspect of HTML tidy works.
    Megan Jack
    Proud to be Canadian
    http://www.meganjack.com
    Moderator at The Webmaster Forums and EDevCafe Forums

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    their help site was terrible
    Yes, that's typical of free software, particularly given it seems to be in an early stage of development.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like HTML-Kit for when I need a full-blown HTML/CFML editing environment with FTP, preview etc etc but I'll admit it can be a bit cluttered and confusing. It's still cheaper and more stable than Homesite

I use it sometimes but I find that I use Textpad more than anything. It's just so clean, fast and easy to configure compared to anything else I've tried. OTOH, it's not geared directly towards web design like HTML-Kit, more of a general purpose editor.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark