SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can good free images from Google, yahoo or bing.......surf a lot and pic some interesting ones....if you Photoshop try to do modifications or use Photobucket you can change themes and redesign those images for their uniqueness

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The question was
    How and where do I get free images that I can use for my website? (My italics)
    There are plenty of images out there, but just because you can find them at no cost using Google, Bing or any other search engine does not mean that you can use them on your own site. Most of these pictures are copyright, or have restrictions on their use. You wouldn't copy somebody else's site (I hope) - so why would you think it's OK to copy their pictures?

<title class="lol"> bronze trophy TehYoyo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    You wouldn't copy somebody else's site (I hope) - so why would you think it's OK to copy their pictures?
    I think that that should be read as:

DON'T COPY OTHER PEOPLE'S STUFF BECAUSE IT IS UNETHICAL, ILLEGAL, AND PLAIN IRRESPONSIBLE.
    Those are my formatting edits, if you didn't catch that.

I recently heard a discussion about that on this episode of Sitepoint's Podcast. (If you search for "don't think", it's the fourth result down the page, if you want to find the text I'm citing). The context behind the story is that one company copied direct code and images from 37signals. The panel team started discussing it and Patrick O'Keefe mentioned that people don't think that it's wrong. It is very wrong and should not be done. I think we should all have respect for fellow people's intellectual property, no matter what field we're in.

~TehYoyo

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Button View Post
    You can use the free clipart that comes with microsoft word.
    Don't you need a commercial license for MS Word?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you try free vectors. They collect all vector graphics on-line and you can download for free.

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wanyxspe View Post
    I suggest you try free vectors. They collect all vector graphics on-line and you can download for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    There are plenty of images out there, but just because you can find them at no cost using Google, Bing or any other search engine does not mean that you can use them on your own site. Most of these pictures are copyright, or have restrictions on their use.
    Quote Originally Posted by freebievectors.com
    All material on this website is copyrighted to the freebievectors.com website, except the download items provided on the website, which are copyrighted to their respective owners.
    Yes, you can download them free of charge. Can you use them on your website, which is the point of the original question? Not without permission of the copyright holder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work on a site with a few of my buddies just search for fotogrph in google, everything is licensed under the creative commons attribution. A couple of other sites I would recommend would be ImageBase, morguefile, unprofound.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing works the same as using your own camera instead of using other people's work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, but some people do not have the luxury of owning their own camera. So for them sites like these are perfect.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can visit webshots.com.
    Here basic Membership is still Free and once when you become a member then you get permission to download the pics that you have requirements. webshots.com have a collection of over a million pics, covering a very exhaustive range of subjects.