SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Prompt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Prompt

Ok so I'm really new to this whole PHP, MySQL stuff...and I was wondering how the hell I even start. I mean how do I use the prompt so I can input all the commands? Do I use a browser, FTP, DOS prompt, what? I'm really lost and need a lot of help, but I hope this will be a good start.

Thanks
    Ryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ryan,

I'm just a little bit ahead of you in terms of PHP and MySQL. I don't know much, but I'm loving it all the same.

If you're using Windows, you can use Telnet (your hosting service should have given you a username and password for your MySQL database).

Once you're there have a play around with various table creation commands. See: www.mysql.com for details.

And good luck with it all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Telnet

Ok so I tried to "telnet" into my "MySQL" directory on my server lastnight and it wouldn't let me. I used TCP/IP to connect, which I thought would make sense, but anyway it told me that it can't connect using the IP (which is the correct IP)but possibly the wrong port, I used port 23 which is the default setting in the "telnet" program. If anyone can help with this it would fill me with joy!
    Like how can I find out which port to use? Did I mention my hosting company sucks, because they have no helpful information on their site? Yeah well they do suck.

Thanks
    Ryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of error is displaying?

In Telnet (that comes with Windows), you're asked for the Host Name, Port and Term Type. I'm using my domain name, the default telnet port (23) and vt100 as the term type.

This might be different for you, but maybe it will help.

Otherwise, I'd start kicking some hosting company butt.