SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Script to manage a website in many languages

Hello,

What is the best script to mange a website in many languages ?

Wordpress is good ?

A friend advised me to learn about i18n , but I'm not having a high level in programming, I think it's a PHP framework or something like that...non?

Best regards.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you may try google translation tools

http://translate.google.com/translate_tools

vineet

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Immerse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i18n is an abbreviation for InternationalisatioN. It's not a specific toolset or framework, more a general term used for anything to do with presenting websites in multiple languages. There's a good article at Wikipedia.

There's also l10n, which is an abbreviation for LocalisatioN. The 10 has to do with the number of letters between the 'L' and the 'N' Localisation goes a little further than just translating websites, as it also has to do with stuff like date, number and currency formats.

i18n-ing or l10n-ing existing websites can be a lot of work, there isn't really a a script you can add to do that. However, if you're starting a new website, it's not so much a problem. Systems like Wordpress have lots of facilities for i18n and l10n, saving you a lot of work. If you want to update your existing website, then the best starting point is probably to look at the gettext suite of tools (gettext, php).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you BOTH for your help, in fact, about good translation, I like it but I don't think it's a good solution to give a professional look of the website, I like more to get for example a php code, I take it and place it in my layout design, and from administration section, I add more languages, so I can translate a part of my website, or entire website. Wordpress is good, or there is better ?

Regards.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Immerse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, you'll either need to switch over to a new CMS (like Wordpress), or start from scratch. I don't really know of any scripts you can just drop into your website and it's administration section (note that Wordpress etc. have their own admin section).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think also wordpress if fine, wo I will try to find a website to learn how can I manipulate this CMS, I think wordpress is easy to use...