User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast COMpWiZkEv's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool PHP-like programming language

Hey,

I am using PHP to build a number of websites, and really love it. I would like to enter the application programming area, and since I am familiar with PHP, what programming languages (C, Java, VisualBasic) come closest to being like PHP, besides PHP-GTK?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Forum Mathematics Geek Agent Dwarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C#, from what I hear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP is rather unique when it comes to languages, there are languages that are similar, however, not one is very close to php.

all modern application programming languages are strongly typed meaning you define the type of a variable. if you want to get into application programming i would recommend Java, it will get you into the habit of creating nice, organized and clean code (but only if you make it that way, of course)
    Web Finesse Studios
    Professional, business oriented web hosting and development.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by COMpWiZkEv
    I would like to enter the application programming area, and since I am familiar with PHP, what programming languages (C, Java, VisualBasic) come closest to being like PHP, besides PHP-GTK?
    syntactically, C and Java come closest...

and this is a bit pedantic but PHP-GTK is not a language really... it's actually just PHP using the GTK+ graphics toolkit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm learning Java at the moment -- and my background in PHP is helping me immensely. Aside from the object-oriented concepts (which were quite new to me), I had no problems when I began.

-Colin
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes
    I'm learning Java at the moment -- and my background in PHP is helping me immensely. Aside from the object-oriented concepts (which were quite new to me), I had no problems when I began.

-Colin
    I'm learning C# (which is very similiar to Java), and I too, have great use of my PHP knowledge. I recommend "Programming C#" from O'Riely, as it's a good springboard for someone with a PHP background.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think in general, if you learn one language well, it becomes alot easier to learn others.

PHP's object orientation comes from a C++ past but is heading towards being very Java like.

The core of PHP is written in C and extensions in C++ - both of those languages should be easier to learnt once you've got into PHP. If you learn C++, you could convert code you've written in PHP to a PHP extension...

Perl is also very similar to PHP, it also being interpreted. Syntaxwise, it's a little more raw than PHP though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always heard that C++ requires allot of work, I.E. lots of code to do a simple thing, which would be very different to PHP.

Java is horrible because it's slow and you need all this virtual machine junk! I really HATE java. It has it's uses but if your programming apps I would stay clear. Personally if i see a nice app and I'm about to download it and then notice it is java i stay well away. Java is evil lol

C# is a new thing, be nice to see how it does, i really know nothing about it.

I would love to start programing apps, previously I have used delphi but I would like something a bit more mainstream. C++ or C# maybe
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Smarky
    I always heard that C++ requires allot of work, I.E. lots of code to do a simple thing, which would be very different to PHP.

Java is horrible because it's slow and you need all this virtual machine junk! I really HATE java. It has it's uses but if your programming apps I would stay clear. Personally if i see a nice app and I'm about to download it and then notice it is java i stay well away. Java is evil lol

C# is a new thing, be nice to see how it does, i really know nothing about it.

I would love to start programing apps, previously I have used delphi but I would like something a bit more mainstream. C++ or C# maybe
    yes i will admit java is slightly slow, if you have a decent machine it is ok, however learning java will get you into good coding habits and it will make the move to another OO language extremely easy.

oh and this virtual machine junk you need stuff, in order to run .net applications, you need the .net redist, a 25 mb download, which is pretty much a virtual machine for .net
    Last edited by archigamer; Sep 29, 2002 at 06:39.
    Web Finesse Studios
    Professional, business oriented web hosting and development.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Smarky
    I always heard that C++ requires allot of work, I.E. lots of code to do a simple thing
    Although many people would say otherwise, I agree with what was told to you. I've worked with C++ and felt ot was too much effort for a simple outcome.
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by archigamer
    oh and this virtual machine junk you need stuff, in order to run .net applications.
    Yes but a .net application works just as any other app, Java tends to have ugly UI, very slow and unstable.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.... any application can have a ugly UI, be very slow and be incredible unstable, that dosn't mean that it is the language there is something wrong with!!! It is all up to the implementation of it!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by nucleuz
    Well.... any application can have a ugly UI, be very slow and be incredible unstable.
    Yup, your 100% correct but if the application is Java then your guaranteeing that your application will have these problems, where in the other lanugages they won't as long as your implementation is good.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Java just takes a talented programmer to make it work well. Without that your applications can and probably will turn to crap.

I think that C++ is the closest to PHP although it is very strongly typed. You might try [shameless plug]Python[/shameless plug]

You mix Python with the wxPython windowing kit and you have yourself a cool little program