SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tring to get people to come to my Teen Depression forum

Hey all,

I have a Teen Depression Forum set up at www.teen-moods.net
    its powered by phpBB2, I have been considering changing to VBulletin but with less than 30 members it not worth it yet. I've mass-submitted my site to every search engine thinkabable, I revamped my meta tags with a meta program but I just done that last week, and I've been linking with other teen depression sites. I do not want to start spamming because it usualy brings the wrong audience in and they start registering under funky names like //root or ___
    ... *sigh* the site has been up since June 10th. The members I've gotton so far have come from me posting a link to my forum in a metal health board. but many members have stopped posting, to this day only 3 members have posted in the last month. Please help me, I don't know what else I could do. I'm a student so I don't have credit cards to be paying for large scale search engine promation.

Thanks for your time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depressed teens heh? you certainly have a big enough pool of possible members :P

The problem is always going to be even if someone finds your site there going to notice that not allot of active is going on and just leave without registering. You first should set up a team of "helpers" like sitepoint his it's team leaders, mentors and advisor's along with the admin staff. Get these members to work with you on this, Starting new posts offering links to pages that may help with certain problems, advice for common problems etc. Anything to get the forum active and looking like it is or otherwise no matter how many people coming to your site allot of them won't register. You want to maximize the chance of people signing up once they reach the site and there not going to do this on an empty board.

You will also have the problem that people will come to the board with a problem and although they may register they may never return once they get what they came for.
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i might sign up but im not sure i coukld post at a forum with a horizontal scrollbar. it does on my computer anyways.
    Companyreviews.net - Webmaster Reviews And Resources
    Companyreviews.net Webmaster Forum - Come Chat
    2FunnyPictures.com - Huge Humor Archive
    A4B.cc - Free Redirection Service With NO ADS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to appropriate forum.

You've made the common mistake of having too many forums that are not proportional to your posts and activeness. One thing that is discouraging potential members is dead forums and lack of activity. If you have 3-4 forums to begin with and they are active, members will be much more willing to join. See the link in my signature for my Community Building Primer for more info.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also be interested in a couple of threads I have in the Community Construction section. It's about a forum I started up a couple weeks ago, and my efforts to get traffic. It's a very different topic, with a very different audience, but some of the methods could apply regardless.

Part 1
    Part 2

Let me know if this stuff is useful.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the poster above, first thing I'd do whatever I had to to get rid of that horizontal scroll. A couple of those forums should probably be removed, the vacation forum for one. It just seem out of place. Other than that I don't see anything that would keep you from experiencing the same issues most of us had to go through. There are several theads in the Community Construction Zone that discuss building traffic, check them out. Good luck!
    http://www.veggieboards.com - Vegetarian forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your design could use some more colors. Not tons of them but just one color to enhance the grey. And yes there is way too many forums, almost everyone makes this mistake. Any message board should start with maximum 5-6 forums and grow when there is a demand. I started mine with 4 forums and it now has 16.
    Last edited by exhale81; Oct 1, 2002 at 06:31.
    Sebastien Rosset
    :: Commercial: BlackSonic | ScriptsCenter
    :: Non-Profit: VJCentral | ReclaimYourSoul

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so you know, we have a Web Reviews forum for getting your web page evaluated for technical things and general user feedback
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!