SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hyperlink Anchor Text

Hi,

I got your email newsletter (if it was from you, otherwise I got an email newsletter from someone about SEO). In the newsletter that I have written out below, there is a section on the 'Hyperlink Anchor Text'.

The first line says "This is the blue hyperlink text that other sites use to link to you by."

I really cannot work out what this 'blue' text is and how other sites are linking to it.

Would you please tell me clearly what this is and perhaps show me an example (I looked at the code for this forum but could not find one).

Thanks,
    Apollo

*** copy of section of newsletter emailed to me **
    2. Hyperlink Anchor Text

This is the blue hyperlink text that other sites use to link to you by. This is also probably the single most important factor in determining the relevance your site has to a certain keyword on Google. You absolutely must include your keyword in this anchor text.

Many sites use only their domain name as the hyperlink text, and use their keyword ad nauseam throughout the description, which is not hyperlinked. This may see you receive more hits from the site that's linked to yours, but it does little to help your search engine ranking for a specific term.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <a href = "domain.com/page.html">this is anchor text</a>
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris,

Yes I know what 'anchor text' is, and of course any book or tutorial has this detail in it.

However, what I do not understand is what control I have of determing anchor text that other sites use to link to me. The example you have is linking to somewhere else.

If you read my post carefully you will see that I repeat what was in the newsletter sent to me (please look at previous post with section from newsletter). It seems to say that you set up your own anchor text so that other sites LINK TO YOU, and that google will rate you according to what you put in this anchor text.

So when it says ... "You absolutely must include your keyword in this anchor text", I cannot understand how or why you set up an anchor link to yourself and how you get other sites to link to this anchor text.

If it is possible would you please supply an example where this is has been done, i.e. a site that has set up an anchor link with its own keywords in it and other sites are linking to this anchor link, or a tutorial or command guide on the net which contains this information.

(I really cannot believe that a design feature of every site is blue hyperlink text - but I am open to this information if this is in fact a way to improve google listing)

Did anyone else get this newsletter? (I thought it was a 'SitePoint' newsletter) Is anyone else confused about this instruction?

Thank You

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google looks at each page separately. So internal site links do count. When linking to the various pages on your site, and back to your home page, use keywords in the links wherever possible. That is how you can control the anchor text of your incoming links.

You can also ask people to use certain texts.

You can name your site using your keywords, since people will often link to you using your title as the anchor text.

You can put keywords in your domain, since people will often link to you using your domain as the anchor text.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris ... a valuable piece of information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the only thing you can do is ask people to use your specific anchor text, you don't really have much control of what they link to you with.