SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site Language Translator

Does anyone know of a way to translate a site from say English to Spanish and back again by a link or button? I'm working on a clients site and they would like the ability to click a button or link and the page goes from English to Spanish and vise versa. I can't just do another version of the site in Spanish because if they change something, it would not reflect on the Spanish site unless I went it and changed it. Any way of doing this on the fly?

I've looked into Babel Fish by Altavista but wasn't to impressed with the bulky converters and even then if you did translate the site, when you clicked on a link, it would go back to English.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this reminds me of a previous thread...
    http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...ation+language
    have a read and see...my opinion still stands on that issue...
    redux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I checked out the Google ones and I'll let the client know about the grammer rules and such and see what they would like to do.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Advintive's I-Design list's talked about this recently. The general consensus is that you're much better off hiring a real-live translator.

If you used server-side programming (and design the web app right) you could easily make changes to the design without touching the content. I think most people would excuse you if your logo or header still were in English. :-)

~~Ian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right I don't mind if the logo or whatever is in English. My concern is the client does not speak Spanish, but they will be able to update certain text with in the site. Therefore if they change text they would have to call me to get it translated into Spanish for them. Where as if there was a button or something when a customer clicked translate, it would translate the text for them. This way the Spanish version is never out of date. Although I do see the concern with grammer and stuff. I just don't think a live translator would be cost effective with the minor changes that will be going on. Although I guess you can't have everything in life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My previous post translated to Spanish and back again using Google and AltaVista (came out with the same result):
    Advintive Yo-Diseña the spoken list this recently. The general consensus is that you are to use true-lives translator far better. If you used the programming of the servant-side (and she designs the right of app of the fabric) you you could easily make changes to the design without the tact of the content. I think that most of people it would excuse to him if its standard or head continued being in English: -) they

I like "the programing of the servent-side" part... ;-)

~~Ian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I see this is going to be a tad harder then first expected. There certianly isn't going to be enough changes to justify hiring a live translator. However I know the client is pushing for the Spanish version of their site.

I'm open to suggestions if any one has them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The devil's in the details, ain't it? ;-)

Well, my suggestion would be to simply say (in Spanish, obviously) that some portions of this site may be in English. Anyone who uses the Internet for any length of time probably would have at least a rudimentary level of English--I can't imagine visitors penalizing the site for it--at least as long as you treat them like people. Reading in a second language has got to be easier than reading the output of one of those translations in your native language. There's got to be as big a backlash against poor translations as there was against flash intros.

When your client feels that she's made enough changes, she can hire a translator then. She might even be able to get away with getting a friend to translate smaller portions until she can hire an actual professional translator who'd be able to finesse her copy it better. :-)

~~Ian
    Last edited by Ian Glass; Sep 27, 2002 at 21:06.