User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New site about poker - Please give critique

Hello,

I started with webdesign not so long ago, and now i've put up a site about poker.
    The site is:Pokerinfo - Home

I've used fixed width but i'm not so sure about it.
    Is the page width okay ? Not too wide ?
    And how does the color green work out, and the menu ?

Thanks in advance and happy to learn from you!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your design is simple, and personally I feel below average. You don;t really have design much here. You have a background, a header, a menu and some ads.

Are you adding some application for the playing of the games?

Ultimatelly, I think that this is what will make the difference between engaging your audience or having them flee your website.

The color you have chosen is a fun color.

bests,

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it's a good start! You might want to separate out the footer from the rest of the content either with a horizontal line or with a different color background. Also, you can easily make your search button look customized. webdesignernotebook.com/css/a-beautiful-form/ might give you some ideas. Also, it almost seems like your advertising is more important than the navigation bar. Perhaps it should be on the right-hand side? Finally, I like your "card graphics": having some type of illustration on each of the inner pages would really go a long way.

I hope that this helps...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design is cool but lack of content hurt more....try to put some contents.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replys! I'm working on the content, but the first step for me was the design.
    I've taken some suggestions in account: seperated the footer, customized the search button and i will remove the ads.

I've heard that my text size was too small, and i've seen it differs in Internet Explorer and Firefox. Now i've made it size 13, but is this still fancy ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still see the ads.

About the text, I read the best measure to use is "em" as in 1em, or 1.3em

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved the colors but it looks like something is missing - Photos, content...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've put up some more content. The site is in Dutch, so you guys can't read it.
    I posted here mainly to hear some suggestions about the design. I think the design is now finished.
    But if you still have suggestions for design, i'm happy to hear.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion is that you should register a domain

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we're talking about poker sites, I'd use quite a bit of lush and luxurious textures in the graphics. The textures wouldn't need to stick out, but they would play a very critical role in the background in complimenting the subject of the site - gambling and poker. Think along the lines "a smoky jazz club with worn out wooden tables, dark corners, and a poker table right in the middle as the highlight of the whole club". The green texture found on poker tables, pool tables etc would work wonders for a poker site as a backdrop on some element, maybe even as the background of the site.

The font selection also needs more style and a bit of fun in it. Everything on the site is done with relatively modern-looking sans serifs, which establishes a feeling that is somehow too clean. Combining a serif with the sans serif could work well here, it's pretty much the oldest trick in typography to make things a little more interesting.