SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Design a Website In Photoshop

These comments are in regards to the SitePoint.com article \'Design a Website In Photoshop\'.

This is a great article. Very informative.

My question is, why use Photoshop instead of Macromedia Fireworks. Fireworks has the most important Photoshop capabilities such as layers but slices images up for you automatically or lets you choose how to slice them and exports in a variety of formats. It is more specifically for web design than Photoshop with rollover button capabilities and export as html page etc.
    I don't think the price is much different and the user-friendliness is there too. In fact Fireworks is very similar to Photoshop in it's user interface.
    So why use Photoshop instead, what are the advantages?

Duke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Design a Website In Photoshop

Originally posted by Duke
    My question is, why use Photoshop instead of Macromedia Fireworks..... what are the advantages?
    ignoring that photoshop is far superior when working for print, as its irelivant if your only doing screen design, the programs are very similar in what you can do, like most other competing products, if one throws a knock out punch in one round the other will throw a bigger blow in the next round.

I've only just started using fireworks in the course i am doing at the moment, and the similarities are almost starteling, when it comes to web based graphics, especially in MX there is no reason to choose PS over FW, its just a camatter of what ever floats your boat.

The only real benefit is that photoshop has for a long time been an industry standard, so the chances of finding a job and them not having photoshop are lower then if you used fireworks.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: Design a Website In Photoshop

Originally posted by iTec
    ...The only real benefit is that photoshop has for a long time been an industry standard, so the chances of finding a job and them not having photoshop are lower then if you used fireworks.
    exactly right... most places I've had interviews with care about Photoshop...and unless they specificaly have MX Studio don't really care if you know fireworks.

-Jeremy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop does a better job compressing images, allows you to do more effects wise and does a better job with the generated HTML to my experience. I havent used MX though, Im too happy with Photoshop.
    Memento Mori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop is better at compressing images except for the PNG format. I never did understand how it could be that bad with PNGs.
    Travis Watkins - Hyperactive Coder
    My Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Alacarte - Gnome Menu Editor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Duke
    My question is, why use Photoshop instead of Macromedia Fireworks.
    Because NO professional web designer I know (and I know LOTS of them) uses Fireworks. Regardless of it's efficacy or functionality, if you plan on getting a job somewhere else besides your bedroom, you need to learn Photoshop.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I created this article Design a Website In Photoshop because so many people use it. It seems to be the industry standard. Fireworks may have all the roll-over capabilities built in, and that is why Photoshop is bundled with ImageReady.

iTec had it right when he said, "The only real benefit is that photoshop has for a long time been an industry standard, so the chances of finding a job and them not having photoshop are lower then if you used fireworks." I use Adobe Golive 6 to create websites even though the "industry standard" seems to be Dreamweaver. It is all personal preference. I find that being familiar with Adobe's interface made it easier to learn Golive. Dreamweaver seems very confusing to me. Even thought the Javascript that Dreamweaver creates when doing roll-overs is much cleaner than that of Golive, I would never use Dreamweaver because it is so confusing. But that is just my opinion.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My website layout is at the moment done using photoshop. I am comfortable with the interface of adobe photoshop and not at all comfortable with the interface of Fireworks MX - its like what they say, ur only good at what ur used to.
    Learning the ropes of webdesign - Favourite application : Dreamweaver MX - Favourite gfx application : Adobe Photoshop 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

gwd--interesting! for me it just the opposite. I use Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, In-Design, etc. and I have Live-Motion and Go-Live 5. I find DWMX much more intuitive than GoLive. Same with Flash + Flash has some much more powerful features. Just starting with FlashMX though and getting ready to try what, for me, will be a major project. There never seems to be enough hours in the day now!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: Design a Website In Photoshop

Originally posted by creole
    Because NO professional web designer I know (and I know LOTS of them) uses Fireworks. Regardless of it's efficacy or functionality, if you plan on getting a job somewhere else besides your bedroom, you need to learn Photoshop.
    Yeah, you're right, good to know both from a jobs point of view, but that says very little about which program is better. Employers have many different ideas about what their employees need to know, but most wouldn't know the best way to go about things if it hit them in the nose.

I guess what I'm saying here is that the discussion is in fact about the "efficacy or functionality" of the programs.
    I don't think any of us would want to limit ourselves to the most widely publicized programs and miss out on the ease of the newer improved and more targeted ones.

Having started in Photoshop (coming from a graphic arts background) I found Fireworks a wonderful thing because
    1. It was so simliar to Photoshop that the transition was easy
    2. The transition was desirable since Fireworks is specifically designed for the web unlike Photoshop which while being a fantastic program, is just not as good at some specifically web things as Fireworks is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire vs. Shop

Hey There,

It is very interesting that I have been questioned many times why I use Fireworks over Photoshop when designing UI. I uses Photoshop for many things including screen and print design but I find Fireworks much more efficient and powerfull when comes to UI design, especially when used with such programs as DreamWevear and Flash. Studio MX allows on importing any graphic elements created in Fireworks to Flash without loosing anything - that is very important to me.

For more advance graphics I use often Illustrator but I find another Macromedia application more friedly - FreeHand.
    I guess I developed Macromedia addiction. I truly belive that Fireworks is very powerful when it comes to UI development.

Regards,

Tom Z.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would hate to let fireworks run riot with a website

l-a-z-y is the word that comes to mind
    what happens when the fancy rollover script doesn't work or the client wants it changed a little?

I'd rather spend a little more time and care into doing it all, plus it gives you more satisfaction

These type of programs might be alright for a quick 'slap-together' site but apart from that pfffft

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree - but with me i usually design and produce the layout in photoshop and add flash buttons to it in dreamweaver, cos i cant b arsed learnin how to use flash - lack of time, and just general laziness!
    Learning the ropes of webdesign - Favourite application : Dreamweaver MX - Favourite gfx application : Adobe Photoshop 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Platinum,

Continuing the discussion.

Using Fireworks is not about the rollovers at all! Indeed, creating them in Fireworks and exporting to Dreamweaver, then correcting them back in Fireworks is a snap.
    I was referring more to the quality, efficiency and ability to work seemlesly with Flash and DW that Fireworks can deliver for creating UI. Of course, I would rather use Illustrator or Freehands for complex illustrations and printing material.

Regards,

Tom Z.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Netscape
    Platinum,

Continuing the discussion.

Using Fireworks is not about the rollovers at all! Indeed, creating them in Fireworks and exporting to Dreamweaver, then correcting them back in Fireworks is a snap.
    I was referring more to the quality, efficiency and ability to work seemlesly with Flash and DW that Fireworks can deliver for creating UI. Of course, I would rather use Illustrator or Freehands for complex illustrations and printing material.

Regards,

Tom Z.
    You said it Tom.
    I agree, I often use Photoshop, Illustrator, etc etc for the initial fine graphic work, but Fireworks can do all that anyway. As far as putting it all together, adding buttons and any more fine graphic work you need to do, Fireworks is the one.

Originally posted by Platinum
    l-a-z-y is the word that comes to mind
    Oh c’mon, Get over it! There’s nothing virtuous in doing things the hard way.

Duke

Anonymous
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Nice info , but how to place text over an image when your "content box" is like a gradient or a inset beveled box?

Thanks

Gijs from Belgium

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I find it easier to apply layer effects in photoshop