Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Forum Upgrade

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_22 View Post
    HAWK, is there any elaboration you can provide on this? I'm just curious about what you mean here...
    Sure. We were on a single XL instance in AWS which had it's CPU maxed out, and the architecture did not allow for scaling.
    The instance was 100% dedicated to forums so we had to do something urgently.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already made my feelings clear on the new layout, so I wont repeat myself. If you're that interested in my opinions search my last posts.

What I will say is that the explanation has been given, and whether we like it or not we have to accept that, for the time being, the forums will be buggy and will require extensive input from the community in order to fix things. As those of you who visit the main site will know the new layout is the current site layout, so this change was always expected to happen. What I will say is that I frequent a number of vB4 forums, and I can safely say that this upgrade has gone a lot better than some have. HAWK has done a great job getting everything working towards a common goal and I am sure that within the next few months all of the comments on here will have been read a thousand times and the forum will improve substantially as a result.

The new layout is growing on me, and with the right tweaks I'm sure it could look tidy enough for these forums.

One suggestion I'd like to make is that the "Show your signature" box on the Quick Reply box should be removed. There are very few times when a user wouldn't want their signature to be shown and it's wasting valuable space.

Secondly, I think the Threads/Posts area on the forum home page needs changing. I assume that, if we go back to the good old way of doing things (basic forum list on left, featured threads on right) that this won't be an issue.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy TheRaptor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    What I will say is that I frequent a number of vB4 forums, and I can safely say that this upgrade has gone a lot better than some have. HAWK has done a great job getting everything working towards a common goal and I am sure that within the next few months all of the comments on here will have been read a thousand times and the forum will improve substantially as a result.
    I agree. It takes alot of pre and post work to upgrade a forum especially to vB4, and you guys have done a fantastic job at making it as smooth as possible.

I for one like the overall design of the new forums, what I don't like however is the sacrifices to usability that vB4 made. But I suspect that to change in the coming months. Until then, a user.css is serving me well.

Looking forward to seeing it become better and better.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hawk,

Hope this is the correct place to report this issue:

The emails received when someone posts to a subscribed thread have links that are NOT clickable. Until the upgrade, a click on the link always took me to the appropriate message.

As for everything else, I like everyone else do not like change. Guess I will just have to get over it.

I am sure it will be great when you finish.
    Each day is a learning experience.

I solve practical problems. bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    I am using an HD monitor as well but take advantage of the monitor width to always have two different programs open side by side - so each gets 960 pixels outside dimensions on my 1920 pixel wide monitor.
    I have 3 monitors :P

Still, fixed width is bad. Also, I've never liked the legacy postbit of vb. The worst problem I've seen isn't the sitepoint team's fault - the vbulletin wysiwyg editor doesn't do word wrap correctly. I've reported this to vbulletin since it affects forums I manage for clients.

On the whole its a nice design, though if it had a fluid width layout it would be nicer.

Mouse catcher silver trophy
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CSU-Bill View Post
    As for everything else, I like everyone else do not like change.
    I don't think that's entirely fair. There are a lot of things about the upgrade that I do like. There are other things that I'm sure I will like once I get used to them. That doesn't mean I'm not going to criticise any of it - where individual points have got worse, I'm going to mention them in the hope that those points can be fixed. But that doesn't mean I don't like the change overall.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Stevie said. And furthermore, we're all supposed to have web skills of one pursuasion or another. Statements along the line of I don't like it, and I just want to pout about it can be expected from the average web user, but we should be better than that.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

Under Construction silver trophybronze trophy AussieJohn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CSU-Bill View Post
    The emails received when someone posts to a subscribed thread have links that are NOT clickable. Until the upgrade, a click on the link always took me to the appropriate message.
    I think this depends on the mail client you're using. Things seem to work fine in GMail. I did just take a look at the source of an old and a new email and it seems after the upgrade emails have their content-transfer-encoding set to quoted-printable. This may break some links up in to multiple lines (in source code), though I would have thought that most email clients are capable of dealing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ankerstjerne View Post
    Statements along the line of I don't like it, and I just want to pout about it can be expected from the average web user, but we should be better than that.
    I think you underestimate people's eagerness to complain about anything (and everything) just for the sake of it :P

Srsly though. I like the new look and am looking forward to seeing where it's going to go once the SP team whip vB4 into shape
    (and like Joe said earlier, a user.css will help you muddle through if you really want to fix some things now.)
    var details = {
    . . web: "afterlight.com.au",
    . . photos: "jvdl.id.au",
    . . psa: "usethelatestversion.com"
    }

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    I don't think that's entirely fair. There are a lot of things about the upgrade that I do like. There are other things that I'm sure I will like once I get used to them. That doesn't mean I'm not going to criticise any of it - where individual points have got worse, I'm going to mention them in the hope that those points can be fixed. But that doesn't mean I don't like the change overall.
    I believe that in general people do not like change. They become accustomed to doing things a specific way, and then something happens, and they are out of their comfort zone.

I like to learn new things, but when IT makes a change to my login, I don't like it. After a few days, it becomes part of my normal situation. It is that initial change that disturbs me.

So I will stand by my statement that I like everyone else do not like change.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieJohn View Post
    I think this depends on the mail client you're using.

I think you underestimate people's eagerness to complain about anything (and everything) just for the sake of it :P
    I get my notifications at work, and we use MS Office 2007, so my email client is Outlook 2007.

I will agree with you that people are eager to complain. Just ask someone how they like the weather.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK , good work on the new layout with one exception . When you look at the home page or at the thread list in a subsection one things come to mind : the font size is to big . I don't know how other users feel but if you're using a 1200 x 800 laptop for browsing then you can bearly see 8 threads . For me that is a major annoyance since it takes a whole lot more time to navigate to the desired section/thread .

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This may break some links up in to multiple lines (in source code), though I would have thought that most email clients are capable of dealing with it.
    mutt (my mail client) also breaks links multiline. I copy and paste, removing the + symbols mutt adds : )

Quote Originally Posted by CSUBill
    I believe that in general people do not like change. They become accustomed to doing things a specific way, and then something happens, and they are out of their comfort zone.
    This is absolutely true. Users hate change most of the time. Looks at the mass exodus from Last.fm (and back then, Spotify was barely known and not available in many countries).

SitePoint needed to do the upgrade because of all the fixes, patches and plugins from the old version killing everything. But they also chose to change the layout. I'd say they knew they'd be in for some whining and criticism.

the font size is to big . I don't know how other users feel but if you're using a 1200 x 800 laptop for browsing then you can bearly see 8 threads .
    Man, I should switch down to 600x800. The fonts are tiny! 13px tahoma/calibri is microscopic on my monitor!

Again this is why I like font-size: 100% on the body and no screwing with it after that. Means it should be whatever default any user has set on their systems, not some px system that works on 96dpi Windows machines on IE. Or whatever.

Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am surprised by the new look of this forum~I like it!!

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Ankerstjerne View Post
    What Stevie said. And furthermore, we're all supposed to have web skills of one pursuasion or another. Statements along the line of I don't like it, and I just want to pout about it can be expected from the average web user, but we should be better than that.
    This might surprise you as I'm probably one of the more vocal "I hate it" folks in here, but I agree wholeheartedly that too often people complain in a vague/incomplete manner. If you're gonna kvetch about it, be specific, say exactly what's wrong, and even offer solutions saying how to fix it.

Though often doing so seems to upset people even more.

I mean, lets' go down the list of what's "wrong" with it -- fixed width layout that's not even 1024 friendly, absurdly undersized fixed metric fonts on everything, absurdly large padding's on some pages making it hard to see more than a few items on many of the index pages, visual queue's on things like read/unread posts nonexistent, absurdly bloated markup, nonsensical use of lists and heading tags flushing accessibility (the laugh of that being vBull dev's saying it's in the name of improving accessibility!), lack of underlines on links making it hard for many people to see/find links in posts, layout breaking horribly if you try to use zoom in most browsers, and over the top bloated scripting making page loads painful as hell unless you turn off .js altogether.

Those are all legitimate complaints that at least two-thirds of which are readily and easily fixed. (noscript plugin or opera's per site scripting off, or that user.css I wrote yesterday).

But yer right, too often people simply go "I don't like it" and sometimes you can't even get "well what exactly don't you like" out of them... We're supposed to be web developers in here, which means explain what you're seeing wrong and/or don't like. THEN they might actually be able to do something about it.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    I've already made my feelings clear on the new layout, so I wont repeat myself. If you're that interested in my opinions search my last posts.

What I will say is that the explanation has been given, and whether we like it or not we have to accept that, for the time being, the forums will be buggy and will require extensive input from the community in order to fix things.
    I can handle a few bugs. But this board's template is horrible! Everything is so BIG on the front page and you have to scroll scroll scroll to find stuff. And the board is too wide. I'm on 1024x768 resolution and there is a very annoying horizontal scrollbar. If the margins on the sides were not so big there would probably be no need for the horizontal scrolling.

I don't want to unduly criticize, and I'm sure if what I have just said hasn't been said before, others are thinking it. It's one of those "what were they thinking!" situations regarding the board theme. Not a whole lot of color, either. Looking at this board is like looking at a snowy field. With winter fast approaching, it doesn't fill me with warmth.

Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    As much as I appreciate you all taking the time to write - please read the thread first! The same things are being repeated ad nauseum.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I hate it when people quote US time zones as though they mean much to the rest of the world, especially if daylight savings happens to be in effect. UTC FTW.

Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    I quote the US time zone because the majority of our users are in said zone. You all have access to Google! I'm filing this under complaining for the sake of complaining!

Now, on a more important note, for those of you that are having issues logging in or out using FF, it looks like the browser is caching the results. So, if you are not logged in, you need to hard refresh the page after logging in and if you are already logged out, you need to hard refresh the page to see that you are really logged out (ie see the welcome message).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't come here often any more but with this upgrade, I'll probably retire my Sitepoint link to an archive folder. deathshadow60‎'s css fixes help but it's still aesthetically not to my liking - colors are pretty sucky, too much space taken up in the header, no forum jump option. I have little motivation to tweak it further. It's been a great run but all things come to an end. Maybe I'll stop by once and a while . . . or maybe not so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the new design. Probably my favourite look SPF has had since I was staff. (Thank you for going back to the regular forum view!)

Good work on still running a tight ship Sarah

Now fix all the broken image links in your article
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Hey Mike,
    Good to see you round these parts! Thanks for your words.

Ah yes, the article. Good call.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is someone playing with the website's css files?

Colours and layouts are changing before my eyes as I click things.

I like the new "compact" listing in the New Posts page

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, we definitely are playing with the CSS... we're trying to improve the experience... at least ours in not one else's

Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Yup - we've restyled. Announcement coming soon - just making sure we're all good first.