SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dumb Question: What's wrong with this code??

I was just surfing around and landed on http://overshock.com/ by accident.

Two things immediately popped into my head looking at the simple splash screen (aka virtually empty index page)... hmmm... nice color, and geeze it would look tons better if that table went the full browser width.

Being the curious type, I popped it open in Mozilla, and it did fill the screen, but it doesn't in MSIE 6. I looked at the code and really, I can't see what's causing this.

Since I dig learning from other's mistakes can anyone take a look and tell me why it's goofing up in MSIE 6?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this code

Code:
    <body bgcolor="#666666" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
    they haven't set a rightmargin or a bottommargin (so there is probably a margin at the bottom currently, you just can't see it). Set them to 0 and it should work. Though of course if they were doing it properly they would have just set the margin to 0 in there style bits above
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It actually does stretch the screen (for me anyway, and I'm using IE 6 as well) but that space on the right is part of the scrollbar.

Mozilla removes scrollbar space from the window unless there's more than 1 screen height to scroll through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be just a browser quirk or something. What I was seeing wasn't the space for the scroll bar, there was definite space before the scroll area. BUT, I went back later and it filled the screen this time.

I hit it again just now, after powering up for the morning, and again, there was a space there, I hit the refresh button and it was gone.

Strange.

Why don't more people use CSS to set zero margins?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see... actually I've noticed that on quite a few sites recently. For some reason (must be my coding style) my sites always load at the correct width the first time.