SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DTS task fails but package must succeed!

I've got a really irritating problem.
    I've created a DTS package, well, actually 4, to import data into a number of tables, from a tex file...

the packages are run by a job that is scheduled. on success of the first step of my job, I need it to go to step 2, and on success of that yob, I want it to move on to step 3 (each step being another DTS packages).

my problem is this. inside these DTS packages, I check for certain things, if a check is true that task is successfull otherwise the task fails. I then have workflow arrows to to the next Task that needs to be run in each case. If the task failed I do something to rectify the problem and then do the check again, if the check then succeeds, the packages ends and I want the next step in the job to run.

BUT!!! because I had a task fail in the package, that package is then seen as having failed, even though the last step was succesfull.

how can I avoid this?

if the task fails and I handle that successfulle, by getting rid of what ever made it wail and I then check again and the check is successfull, I want the package and the step in the job to be successfull
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    It's like our sergeant told us before one trip into the jungle. Men! Fifty of you are leaving on a mission. Twenty-five of you ain't coming back.
    -Mr.Payne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this is helpful, but if one piece fails and you still want the next step to happen, perhaps the workflow should be 'On Completion'.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, I have DTS packages and a job. the dts packages are executed as steps in the jobs. if a task in the DTS package fails, I still want the step to succeed even thought there was a task that failed inside that step
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    It's like our sergeant told us before one trip into the jungle. Men! Fifty of you are leaving on a mission. Twenty-five of you ain't coming back.
    -Mr.Payne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, but I thought you stated you linked the steps with 'On Success'. If so, you could change it to 'On Complete' so the next step executes regardless.
    Westmich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, but I want the step to either fail or succeed, I'm using to split the login the package...

lets say the task checks for duplicate entries. if it finds duplicates, the task fails and on failure it kickes of a task to get rid of the duplicates. but if it does not find any duplicates, it should succeed and go on to another task...

sorry, if i'm sounding a little confusing here, I dont know quite how to explain this

see, if the task fails and it goes to the next task, that task fixes the problem that made the previous one fail, so the package as a whole was a success, although there was one task that failed. so I want the step (entire package) to be seen as a success by the job that is running is. so I suppose what I'm looking for is a command that does the same as the DTStaskResult_success... bit for a package... like DTSpackageResult_success, something that forces the packages to succeed.

cheers
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    -Mr.Payne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - now I ahve a better understanding. I worked it out in the DTS to make sure it made since and attached a screen shot.

Sample Task A runs - If it fails, it runs Sample Task A1 - If it succeeds, it runs Sample Task B. Smaple Task A1 runs Sample Task B in turn.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by westmich; Sep 26, 2002 at 12:56.
    Westmich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats exactly what I meen!

see, nou that package of yours may have the desired outcome for you, but as a package it will fail, because one of the tasks failed... even though the last task to run was successful, the package as a whole has failed. thats what I want to prevent....

so... when the task fails, I need to set the no of failures in the package back to '0' and then run the next task, which will then succeed and the package will succeed.

but how do I achieve this?
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    -Mr.Payne