SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the OP's use of the work "blocking" is referring to the modal behavior and darkening out of the page background (which can be easily changed).

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall
    If they want to REQUEST that something open in a new tab or window then all they need do is right click on the link and select where they want it to open. No action whatever is required on the part of the web page author as anything that you add to the web page will just REDUCE the options available to your visitors unless they disable whatever you have done.
    Most people are pretty stupid when it comes to browsing options.
    The only code I hate more than my own is everyone else's.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oddz View Post
    Most people are pretty stupid when it comes to browsing options.
    Especially web page authors who try to take those options away.

If you want people to be able to choose to open a link in a new window or tab then EDUCATE them on how to do it - don't try to force them because that will only work for the stupid ones and the smart ones will have the authors code blocked. People don't like to be forced into things that they don't want and those who know the basics of how browsers work are more likely to disable your code completely rather than have it block their ability to do what they want in their browser.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to use a lightbox but do not want the background shaded out then a quick fix is to use firebug > find the div that holds the shadow > and display none it. Walla. Now you have your popup that looks close enough like one that will not get blocked. Fancybox is my favorite one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgoyle9 View Post
    I need solution, a code of java script or anything good in HTML to can make popup HTML browser window with my custom size and centered position on PC screen to work in newest Chrome, IE9 and Firefox on user's click on small flash banner.

I looked on internet but didn't found solution.

For now I only found some popup code online generators and that worked fine till now next gen of browsers came with strict anti popup security politic.

Need help!

My site is plain HTML 5 with some js and some flash. I like clean HTML with little other dynamic content and techniques so I would like some nice and clean solution for my problem.

Of course ...I don't wanna to force my site visitors to check or uncheck options in their browsers! I wanna find solution without going to specific browser options! All DEFAULT DEFAULT DEFAULT I need!

Popups are not a good idea. They are blocked by most web browsers and simply annoy people. Your best bet is to use a jquery plugin like simplemodal and then include your popup content within that, and call it on document load or the click of a button/link.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok ppl thank you for your advices and help so far. I picked Fancybox solution and stripped it to the "core" how much I could but got 1 problem!

Problem is that that my "stripped" Fancybox not good implementing on my HTML page. I tried to look where is the "key" to fix that but I think I need your help. Here's my files with Fancybox files and my web page 01- Reference.html : http://www.mediafire.com/?6in6azm3zyt40o5

I got problem that implemented Fancybox js on 01-Reference.html HTML page, maybe cause of some DIV tag, messing my html page. I did nothing to change fancybox code dramatically. I just stripped down all those CSS borders, paddings etc., cause I need "plain Fancybox" to use it safely on my References pictures-logos. Where is mistake? Can you find it for me and correct it? My page wraps vertically for idk what reason and I'm losing myself in all those codes files with js and css. help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found solution. Thank you all!

Problem was in DOCUMENT type. I just removed that and it works now.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I found solution. Thank you all!

Problem was in DOCUMENT type. I just removed that and it works now.
    So now you have lots more problems because each browser will now do its own thing in how it displays the page. It will be impossible to get the page looking the same in all browsers unless you put back that code which is the instruction to the browsers that they should follow the standards rather than assume that the page was written back in the 1990s before the standards existed.

It's like if you got a spot on the end of your nose and solved the problem by chopping off your head.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you said nothing wrong but I checked all up to date browsers (IE9, FF and Chrome) and it works perfectly!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, you said nothing wrong but I checked all up to date browsers (IE9, FF and Chrome) and it works perfectly!
    Until the next time you try to make a change and everything screws up again. Also you don't know what it would look like in the thousands of other browsers that all have their own way of interpreting web pages that claim to not be following the standards.

The doctype is the foundation on which web pages are built. Without it your page will be a maintenance nightmare because it isn't written in a standard web language. Still if you think chopping off someones head is the way to fix a spot on their nose rather than treating the spot then that's your choice. Don't expect help with the next problem you have though because the first thing that the helper will tell you to do is to make sure your page contains an appropriate doctype that defines which version of HTML you are using.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm... not be so sure cause I did that cause of no solution of some posters yet and I needed "fast fix". That's why I "cutted head off" - removed DOC type. If you got right DOC type for my files I posted here (over mediafire) with corrected error I would like to use it! No problem!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The correct doctype to use is one of the following two:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

or

<!DOCTYPE html>

Once you have that in place then go to http://validator.w3.org/#validate-by-upload to identify all the errors in your HTML so that you can fix them.

You should also go to http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/#validate_by_upload to find any errors in your CSS and to http://www.jslint.com/ to validate any JavaScript (you need to check the "Assume a browser" box and leave the others blank in order to properly validate JavaScript intended to run in a web page).

Most likely one of those validation steps will find whatever it is that you have done wrong that is causing the problem.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you felgall! I'll try correct my page and check it.