Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry No Mercy! Killing the aspnet_client folder PERMANENTLY

This...
    thing...
    is...
    a...
    VIRUS!!!

I have tried and tried so many times to get rid of this damned thing but it keeps rising back from the dead! So I'm imploring the help from people who code around ASP/.NET (I use ColdFusion).

I am on a Windows 7/2008 environment. 95% of our sites use ColdFusion, but for every site we create, IIS7 keeps creating aspnet_client folders. I'm a bit of an organizational freak and I simply can't stand there being folders everywhere that have no purpose.

In the 1 site that is using 3rd party apps which use ASP/.NET, I'm fine with leaving it there in case it's needed, but does ANYONE know how to PERMANENTLY get rid of these abominations?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, they get created when aspnet_regiis -i is executed. Easy way to cleanup is to execute aspnet_regiis -e which removes the client stuff.

They never really hurt anyone, unless you've got OCD . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do. I want to run a tight ship. No files/folders where they are not needed (we just came down off a really bad virus infection and are no getting things down on lock)

I've tried running a couple aspnet_regiis commands before (not sure if I did the -e one) and the folders came back. Is your code a permanent solution? Does the -e remove all instances on every site defined on the server? We have an 'apps' site that needs to have this folder because some of the 3rd party apps on it use ASP/.NET.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There *isn't* a permenant solution aside from being very careful on how you setup ASP.NET on the server, the folder gets created by just about anything that sets up the site for ASP.NET.