SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Masters project website evaluation

I would appreciate an evaluation of my masters project: Defensor Security website http://mastersprojectdenfensor.co.uk/evaluation.aspx, to adjust the design to valid feedback.

The website represents a company that provides a service in fitting security devices for domestic, commercial and industrial sites.

The website is the technical artefact of the masters degree in Information Systems, any comments will be used as data in the final dissertation as part of the design evaluation and usability process.

Many thanks in advance for any contribution that you give.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy TheRaptor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MastersProjectDS View Post
    I would appreciate an evaluation of my masters project: Defensor Security website http://mastersprojectdenfensor.co.uk/evaluation.aspx, to adjust the design to valid feedback.
    I don't see anything there to review design wise. Are you looking for a content review?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRaptor View Post
    I don't see anything there to review design wise. Are you looking for a content review?
    Thank you for your reply the actual website is Defensor Security Home Page, I think you taken the evaluation page to be the site, this is not the case and I apologise for any misunderstanding. The evaluation page is there to provide tasks so that you can explore the site and provide further usability feedback in the form of a survey at the bottom of the evaluation page, as well as comments in the forum. The links on the evaluation page will take you to the website.

SitePoint Enthusiast bronze trophy xMog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1. You need to hire a graphic designer. It doesn't look professional/serious (sorry). And you should also test your site using more browsers, I'm using FireFox and some of the elements are misplaced.

2. I entered Customer / Customer* and there was no message, nothing changed. I don't know if I'm connected or not? I did this on the Homepage. Normally there is a mention on the Website that displays that you are connected (most of the time it's your username, displayed top right)

3. There is a lot of menus but the structure of the Website is simple.
    For example, go to that page
    Domestic Products Page

There is a left menu, a Sitemap link at the top left, a breadcrumb, a top menu (the same as the left menu), a 2nd top menu (contact us, etc), a bottom menu, and a menu on the right (FAQ, etc.). And they all looks like they have the same importance (same font-size, color, etc.).

4. Using Twitter, Facebook and all the like is a great idea though. Just keep in mind that it take time to answer people questions, post some interesting stuff from time to time to keep those pages alive, etc.

5. The search functionality doesn't seems to work (at least under FireFox)

6. What is your goal with your Website? If it's to have more customers that comes from Search Engines, you'll have to work on your SEO too.

Your content is OK, you just need to work on the design and navigation I think.

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xMog View Post
    1. You need to hire a graphic designer. It doesn't look professional/serious (sorry). And you should also test your site using more browsers, I'm using FireFox and some of the elements are misplaced.

2. I entered Customer / Customer* and there was no message, nothing changed. I don't know if I'm connected or not? I did this on the Homepage. Normally there is a mention on the Website that displays that you are connected (most of the time it's your username, displayed top right)

3. There is a lot of menus but the structure of the Website is simple.
    For example, go to that page
    Domestic Products Page

There is a left menu, a Sitemap link at the top left, a breadcrumb, a top menu (the same as the left menu), a 2nd top menu (contact us, etc), a bottom menu, and a menu on the right (FAQ, etc.). And they all looks like they have the same importance (same font-size, color, etc.).

4. Using Twitter, Facebook and all the like is a great idea though. Just keep in mind that it take time to answer people questions, post some interesting stuff from time to time to keep those pages alive, etc.

5. The search functionality doesn't seems to work (at least under FireFox)

6. What is your goal with your Website? If it's to have more customers that comes from Search Engines, you'll have to work on your SEO too.

Your content is OK, you just need to work on the design and navigation I think.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the feedback, the debugging comments are very use full. I designed the site navigation from the book “The Design of sites” by Douglas K, in goes into lots of reasons why it is good to have multiple ways to navigate. I was interested in your views on design, can you recommend sites that you feel are professional looking so I can see you point of view. Many thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast bronze trophy xMog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MastersProjectDS:
    Sure. I made a little research on "burglar alarms" and keywords like that. Most of the stores are from Canada (because I'm there). Here's the URLs in order of the one I like the most (for the design) to the one I like less:
    DSC
    PROTECTRON Business and Home Security Systems and Burglar Alarm System - Protectron.com
    Calgary Home Alarms and Commercial Security Systems
    Security Store | DIY Burglar Alarms | DSC, Honeywell, GE Security, Ademco, Optex
    Home Security Alarms & Systems Toronto | Home Security Alarm System Toronto | Home Security Company Toronto | Wireless Home Security Alarm Toronto | Voxcom Security Toronto
    Henderson Security - burglar alarm systems burglar alarms burglary prevention - Welcome to HendersonSecurity.com
    https://www.adt.ca/en/default.asp

It's great that you made all that yourself, your must be proud. But keep in mind that reading a book doesn't make you a professional designer / Usability expert.

I can read a book about how to make a surgery or how to build a house, it doesn't make me an expert.
    Anyway, you could hire a designer to make at least just the front page (and base the rest of the design on it). Since you already have all the elements, you could have something nice for probably under 1000$. But it's just my opinion

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am UK based.

I am not a big fan of the site personally. I find the design a mix of old and new creating a not particularly aesthetic impression. As a security company I would naturally want you to be up to date on technology and feel this needs to be emphasised through the website, which presently it is not.

I'm usually a fan of the blue gradient colours used in your design, but don't feel it works as well for a security company, I would go for something darker. I think the Defensor Security logo is fine though and would sit in fine a new colour and design.

Images need work, particularly link images such as "customer products" on the left.
    Blurry SSAIB in the top right also not good.

I think more uniformity is also needed in font families, text-size, links and positioning. There is some good information on the page (customer reviews, certifications etc), but I think they need to be positioned differently around the page.