SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something for users new to this category

A business without advertising is just like winking to a girl in dark. You know what you are doing, but nobody else does.

Just want to share this quote with other members.

At first when I started doing online business, I was afraid of spending money on advertising. There were many reasons behind this:

i). I would loose the money, as in would get no sales
    ii). Did'nt had any idea as to where I should advertise
    iii). Had no idea where I could find my potential publishers
    and the list goes on..

But from all these years, I have learned few tips and tricks of advertising. Below are some of them that I want to share with you:

[*] If you run a newsletter alongwith a site, instead of advertising about your site in another competitors/website on same topic- newsletters, prefer buying co-registrations for your newsletter. Simply because, people would see your website ad only once, but if you buy co-registrations, you are buying potential buyers. And you can e-mail them from time to time notifying them about your products and updates.
    [*] Never spend all of your advertising money alltogether on one company. Never!. Distribute the money among atleast 5 parts. Then, use this money in different advertising compaigns.
    [*] If you plan to give your advertisement in newsletters, then make sure to give in different newsletters and not in the same newsletter again.
    [*] If you are running a banner compaign for your website, then make sure to have atleast 5-6 banners for the compaign. Reason? Because repeated visitors would have seen 2 banners, but not the rest of them and maybe they would get interested in your product by say the 4th banner.
    [*] Money attracts money! The more you will spend on making your business structure better, the more you will earn.
    [*] Affiliate links only do well when they are properly branded into your site. For maximum results, try including your own testimonial in the ad. If possible, create a separate page for the affiliate link where you give out some, if not complete, details about the product.
    [*] Don't select a business partner the way you choose a tennis partner. Select someone strong where you are weak.
    [*] Go where the business is; don't try to make a market where none exists.
    [*] Money is the seed of money. It takes a lot of time to make the first hundred, thousand or a million. Second million will be easier and the third will be very easy.

I would have post more, but not everything is to be given out for free

I hope you all these facts collected from real life experiences helpful!

--Omair
    36Host.com - $36/year web hosting [affiliates earn 30%]
    * Affordable Small Business Web Hosting since 2003! *
    "500mb space, 10gb bandwith, 50 pop/ftp accounts, php,
    mysql, pre-installed php scripts, 24/7 support & more...."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Money attracts money! The more you will spend on making your business structure better, the more you will earn."

For sure my friend! The days of building a business on good product alone are gone. There are creative ways though to really minimize your budget in this respect. Especially for those just starting out. A good salesman still lies at the heart of a transaction.

Owain Robinson
    http://www.planesimulation.com/
    http://www.dmoz.org/

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good salesman is always appreciated in all the days, whether good or bad. But, for example, take this situation:

Joe Blogg decides to start a website template business and gets 25 designs sold. He got 15 out of 25 designed by his friends who love frontpage. The rest he got designed by his online mates who charged him US$25/template. So, with just US$300 he started a web design template selling each template for US$25 because he thought he would easily sell atleast 15 and would have US$125 in profit, which he can easily use to buy some cheap stuff for him. But fortunately, he hired a nice salesman who was able to bring upto say 60 sales. Out of which, 3 companies provide lawyer services. Now when these lawyer services company (Let's call it Jim Associates) knew by one of his clients that somebody else has the same website design as his site. He decides to drag the (let's call the other lawyer company Joe Associates) Joe Assoc. to court. When these company come to know that it was Joe who ripped both of them along with many other companies by selling the same design, they decide to take this matter serious. NOW Joe's *** is in trouble. He is sued by 2 different companies for $XXXXX because he thought its fun to run a web design business without spending extra money but, doing fraud. Why did this happened? Simply, because Joe Blogg never thought of the future. He was'nt optimistic. He thought he would cover the cost and make profit.

How could Joe avoid this?
    By simply first having someone (most probably, a majors write him a business plan). This way he would have a nice business plan which would have allowed him to make more money, along with taking out the money from the profit to get more templates design, yet resulting in more sale then before.

Now does this scenario still makes you think that you can a good salesman could make an almost unmaterialised (in other words a poor business) business sales boost? Atleast, that's what I think so because I know many of the people who have gone through this and even got *** crapped with loans
    36Host.com - $36/year web hosting [affiliates earn 30%]
    * Affordable Small Business Web Hosting since 2003! *
    "500mb space, 10gb bandwith, 50 pop/ftp accounts, php,
    mysql, pre-installed php scripts, 24/7 support & more...."

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the lesson of this story is 'never trust a man called Joe Blogg'

great point here
    Don't select a business partner the way you choose a tennis partner. Select someone strong where you are weak.