• No

11 78.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Zealot coloradojaguar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that you can start at a review site but you have to narrow it from there by doing some detailed searches. If you see a provider that has mostly good reviews or a good number of them then take a few minutes and look at their actual company site. Many providers also offer live chat now so it is relatively easy to ask support and customer service a few questions that may be more telling than reviews.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many providers also offer live chat now so it is relatively easy to ask support and customer service a few questions that may be more telling than reviews.
    That's definitely a good idea. It helps get a feel of the company without spending a dime yet. However, "company" is a bit much, because you're really dealing with one out of possible hundreds of techs. Also, live chat is mostly manned by level 1 techs. Some of them may be bright individuals, but they still have a lot to learn. Steve Jobs may not be around anymore, but you still wouldn't talk to any Apple employee and judge the company based on that.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As per the question asked in the poll

Do you believe in authenticity of Review Sites
    No! At least not the "Top Ten" list type of sites designed by affiliates or, even worse, designed and self promoted by a web hosting company.

Webhostingtalk is still a good place to find real reviews.
    CrazyPenguin on iNet Integrity

SitePoint Member Steve-Hostirian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Indeed, reviews on forums tend to be more credible. I believe that often times you can tell a fake review from a real one just from the wording. There's a certain "Je ne sais quoi" in them that feels like selling rather than helping.
    Dang, you made me look up "Je ne sais quoi." (An intangible quality that makes something distinctive or attractive) - makes sense. I do trust forum reviews much more than review sites, but recently I've seen a ton of reviews that never get verified. Even so, after being around hosting for awhile, it's fairly easy to determine which is real or fake.