Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do You Believe in authenticity of web hosting reviews

Hi,
    One finds lot of reviews sites here and there. I wonder if the one in search of the hosting companies really make use of these reviews and believe in these. Lot is said about these reviews sites being sort of sponsored, affiliate based and not very true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the authenticity of most reviews at webhostingtalk.com

Some hosts have a lot of reviews from members with lots of posts, I doubt they spent all that time making many fake accounts.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, reviews on forums tend to be more credible. I believe that often times you can tell a fake review from a real one just from the wording. There's a certain "Je ne sais quoi" in them that feels like selling rather than helping.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to blanket my response with a yes or a no. Some reviews are blatant self-promotion, but those usually get weeded out in the well moderated forums.

I agree with the webhostingtalk.com quality. There are some very sharp people there that will see right through nonsense.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As per normal human psyche (to me) one would get out to write every thing when one is in trouble, meaning one would get lot of bad reviews, but spending time to find forums and review site, registering with these and than posting a review in praise of web hosting company... well one would be very good person for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i believe authentication is important for web hosting review. it will reduce fake review.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rej1 View Post
    i believe authentication is important for web hosting review. it will reduce fake review.
    What kind of authentication do you recommend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of authentication do you recommend.
    Domain owners need to prove ownership of this domain.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the way the website owner can authenticate the review writer's credentials. My point however, is the authenticity of the website itself. 99% of the sites which I have seen for reviews are based on affiliate accounts of web hosting companies as such they are promoting business of the web hosting companies and obvious interest in the ones who pay more affiliate amount.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I believe Hosting reviews. Another interesting question should be, How do you make a decision about ordering a hosting plan?(read a review, word of mouth, the first on Google)
    Compare Hundreds of Web Hosting Plans

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kgtrip View Post
    Yes, I believe Hosting reviews. Another interesting question should be, How do you make a decision about ordering a hosting plan?(read a review, word of mouth, the first on Google)
    May also include "none of these" and "all of these" also in the choice. One takes lead from all or some of these, however, has to finally rely on his own judgment and requirements.

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't! I am with the same host since 8+ years now and I am very satisfied!
    I used to make my own research to help me take the decision while chosing a new host!

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy TheRaptor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the time, no!

Off Topic:

Is there any way to retract a vote? I accidentally voted yes. I hit the yes then hit the no and it ended up on the yes somehow.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRaptor View Post
    Most of the time, no!
    and which of the times its Yes.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy TheRaptor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwaraitch View Post
    and which of the times its Yes.
    If I can judge that the authenticity of it is real, then yes. If not, which is most of the time, no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My second host was Hostgator. I stumbled them accidentally from hearing about them here, on SP forums. Did some research and decided to give them a chance. Pretty satisfied with them. So reading reviews is not such a bad thing after all.
    Compare Hundreds of Web Hosting Plans

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRaptor View Post
    If I can judge that the authenticity of it is real, then yes. If not, which is most of the time, no.
    This is important point i.e. visible sings of authenticity on the review sites, and rightly pointed out, this is rarely visible.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backer View Post
    I believe the authenticity of most reviews at webhostingtalk.com

Some hosts have a lot of reviews from members with lots of posts, I doubt they spent all that time making many fake accounts.
    The reviews at webhostingtalk.com used to be good! I happened to come across a case wherein they have deleted/disabled an account on a particular review.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,
    As per this poles here to date 70% of the people do not believe in reviews.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I feel a review site can be good for users searching a suitable service provider / seller online due to typical nature of the online business wherein the buyer cannot physically verify a number of things. One just have to rely his sixth sense and few other things here and there. A good fraud site can evade online buyer such verifications as well.
    I feel the one of the argument for existence / future of online business lies on it ability to retain objectivity and cleanliness to fairly acceptable levels and neat review sites can be help in this regards. I plan to launch one such site yet am at loss if one can maintain neutrality and keep spammers away, while at the same time one would need some kind of revenue needed to set up and maintain such site. The requirement thus seem to get contradictory at times, wherein I feel the webmasters of review sites are biased towards favoring affiliate sites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe authenticity of web hosting reviews but only by very reputated bloggers who shares their true experience with the web hosts.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arunii View Post
    I believe authenticity of web hosting reviews but only by very reputated bloggers who shares their true experience with the web hosts.
    So there are two levels to be resolved, first to find a reputed, reliable blogger and than through him a good service provider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh this is a good poll. If you are refering to review SITES, as in the entire website...the answer is no. I have seen sites set up to where someone like my mom would not know that it is obviously set up by hostgator or netfirms or godaddy. in that case the review site is biased. You can also tell because it pretends to take comments and has a comment box but no comments have been accepted. Anyone who does not agree with the "review" cannot be heard.

On the other hand there are True review sites where everyone can be heard and you can see a long list of both negative and positive comments. A bad host will have mostly negative ones. At the top there will be nothing but an introduction of the host and then will follow comments by ordinary people. sure some staff of the host will comment but in that case there will be Hundreds of comments and rankings so it will be impossible for them to hide the fact that it is either Good or Bad host- no hiding it.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Immerse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The more reviews a host has on one of these sites, the more likely I'll be to believe the reviews.
    A host with just one review, which of course says it's the most excellent hosting ever, isn't really very reliable.
    A host which has tens, if not hundreds of reviews averaging out as 'good', is much more realistic in my opinion.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A host which has tens, if not hundreds of reviews averaging out as 'good', is much more realistic in my opinion.
    In theory, and probably in general, that holds true. However, I know of a (well known) host that gave its employees free hosting accounts, and then asked them to post positive reviews on various sites, posing as customers. The review verification method (if there is one), usually involves the reviewer sharing a site/domain that he's hosting with the reviewed host. Clearly these "customers" could pass the verification.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums