User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Why does a dot character stop margin collapse but a space character does not? Does the Firefox browser actually read text???
    It's an old Firefox bug that never really got fixed. I believe its related to the same bug where an empty clearing div won't clear in FF2- unless it has height or content. It probably strips the space and although it contains the floats it allows margins to collapse right through and you can get some weird effects if following elements have margins. (I did have an old demo of the bug that's lying at the bottom of my old computer which I am trying to revive at the moment.)

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their body fonts are 16px
    Their sidebar and all comments are 14px -- BUT, look at their font stacks. Lucida family are typically 15% smaller than arial/nouveau fonts, so much like serif fonts you take 2 or 3px or more off -- which is why they're rendering here the same as 11px and 13px equivalent to arial. (as evidenced if you neuter that massive font-stack)

Though the keyword is PX. Again, it's called %/em -- USE IT.

But their contrast is 100% retarded. CONTRAST REBELLION
    Aye, 'tis true... and you were looking at the BETTER parts. run the "perishable tweets" or the comments section through the numbers.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    run the "perishable tweets" or the comments section through the numbers.
    I keep forgetting you surf with JS on. Turning it on there, seeing some tweets... I do use twitter, but it's still for the most part freaking useless. ...actually doesn't bother me that the tweets aren't the easiest things to read. Though again since I've ctrl++'d 3 times, it's doable.
    Comments on most sites, though, I like to read, but usually I can't start hunting around for the disqus JS until after I've allowed the main domain since most places seem to use their main domain scripts to call the disqus scripts.

Which again is using scripting to show plain-text content. Something I'll never understand.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    It's an old Firefox bug that never really got fixed. I believe its related to the same bug where an empty clearing div won't clear in FF2- unless it has height or content. It probably strips the space and although it contains the floats it allows margins to collapse right through and you can get some weird effects if following elements have margins. (I did have an old demo of the bug that's lying at the bottom of my old computer which I am trying to revive at the moment.)
    I'll betcha that your bug goes away if you state content like so:

content: "\a0";

I was fiddling with display: inline-block and had this weird shifting with the one element who had " " (space) as content :before it instead of "|". Changing " " to "\a0" fixed the layout issue there.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I'll betcha that your bug goes away if you state content like so:

content: "\a0";

I was fiddling with display: inline-block and had this weird shifting with the one element who had " " (space) as content :before it instead of "|". Changing " " to "\a0" fixed the layout issue there.
    Yes I think a non breaking space would do the job as well as the usual dot "." I haven't tested though

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with everyone on the anti .clearfix:after {} thing. Overflow:hidden. It works. It's simple. Done.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdt76 View Post
    I have to agree with everyone on the anti .clearfix:after {} thing. Overflow:hidden. It works. It's simple. Done.
    Well... and a haslayout trigger for IE... and every now and then if you can't have overflow chopped off, there's always float + 100% width, since floats... wrap float, and if it's 100% width nothing can ride up next to it.

In a lot of ways it comes down to knowing ALL the different ways you can find to do things, and then choosing the right one for the job...

Just so happens I've never seen a right job for 'clearfix'.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    and a haslayout trigger for IE...
    Still add separate trigger for 6.

I find myself using :after more and more because I'm building boxes whose content in the future I won't know if it matters if content overflows or not. What you get when people want working pages without planning first *sigh*