SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How to sell advertising in the UK?

Hey all,
    I run a small site based in the UK, and whilst I make a handful of sales through the Amazon Associates program each month, I would like to make a little more cash to help with the costs of the site (offline materials, business cards, server and everything else!)

My question is this. For the UK webmaster, how do you go about selling advertising directly? Where do you start? How do you approach potential advertisers after you've found them?

Also, how is invoicing handled? Should I add VAT or register for VAT?

I know (or I think I know) quite a bit about the affiliate side of things and CPC,CPM,CPA etc, but when it comes to selling advertising for myself, I'm way over my head, even though I think it would be the way to make a half-decent amount of money.

If anyone could point me in the direction of a site with some decent information on the subject (with a UK tilt), or could help me out directly, I would be MOST appreciative.

Thank you all in advance,

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our ad agency sometimes uses known sellers of banner space like DoubleClick -- might be an option. I guess they take a commission, but I don't know.

Otherwise it goes on reputation. If our research indicates that a large percentage of the people we want to target are visiting your site then we'd contact YOU!

G