SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help, starting community portal

I am looking for some advice in which direction I should head. I am experienced in HTML and CSS, Joomla and Wordpress, and have some experience in PHP.

Basically I want to create a site where users can register and maintain a profile with an avatar. A registered user can then create a team with it's own custom profile and avatar. Other registered users can then join these teams, thus being shown on the team's profile page. I will want some other features like a forum (integrated with the site's database), a calendar of events, etc.

Do you think I there is existing open source software that will enable me to do this? I'm currently messing with Joomla and Community Builder but it kind of feels like a hack job. I'm currently going to school for programming and will be taking classes on PHP and SQL, so perhaps I should just start from scratch? It would at least be a great learning experience.

Thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast praveenkv1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you can use dolphin. You can get more details at http://www.dolphinpros.com
    Happy Hosting
    Managed VPS Hosting with CPanel/Plesk/DirectAdmin.
    Managed Windows / Linux Dedicated Servers.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by praveenkv1988 View Post
    Yes, you can use dolphin. You can get more details at Dolphin Pros :: Dolphin Help and Support • Index page
    I looked at dolphin, but I wasn't sure. You think it will allow users to register team profiles pretty simply, and other users join those teams? Would be nice to also have different categories of teams. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually it allows couple profiles. But you can create a group and add more people there. Not sure this is what you are looking for.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by praveenkv1988 View Post
    Actually it allows couple profiles. But you can create a group and add more people there. Not sure this is what you are looking for.
    I would need 50+ teams of 5-10 users as well as hundreds of users. Are you saying dolphin will only allow a couple of teams?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I meant you can use groups feature in it to add more people to it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Dolphin was great... until I started trying to use it, I'm getting all kinds of errors. I spent around 12 hours modifying a template until my site looked perfect, so it's a shame if I can't get it work My site was working perfect and I just tried to install a Photo module, which gave me an error, and now just trying to go to my site gives me error: Fatal error: Call to a member function getClassPrefix() on a non-object in /home/technoto/public_html/esa/templates/base/scripts/BxBaseSearchResultSharedMedia.php on line 134

I am also looking at Joomla Community Builder, Wordpress Buddypress, Elgg, Jcow, Oxwall, Beatz, and Etano. Anyone have any experience as to which might easily allow members to register, and create a team with a profiles which other members can join? Thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump Any experience with social networks? I basically want gamers to be able to create clans with profile pages, and other gamers can join. So I would have groups of games with profile pages listing groups of clans with profile pages listing groups of players.

Thanks!