SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kids Toys Price Comparison Site - Reviews please

I'm looking for reviews for my new Kids Toys Price Comparison site.

Would love any feedback regarding the appearance, content, SEO, etc.

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert on SEO.
    I think, as a rule though, put text in paragraphs "<p>". Don't just leave it rolling around in a DIV.
    I have HTML tidy for Firefox and it got 216 errors.
    Now most of them are unescaped characters, but there are some "weird" things.
    Last thing I would say is move the "About Moshi Monsters" to the top of the page. It will help visitors know quickly what your site's about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing that struck me was that I it looked like an arcadesite.
    To prevent this (or maybe it's only me) is to change the placement of the text

"Buy the Best Selling Kids Toys at the Cheapest Price" that you have stacked up in the right corner, try to move it so it's more visible in the center so one notice first the logo and then see the that text.

I think that will give the site a more clear point right away for new visitors what it is all about.

And last but not least I would invest a few bucks in the logo, I know logos are hard from personal experience but the logo is pretty bland, it's just that when I hear the name I see more colors and perhaps a toy of some sort in the logo.

And a good idea would be to use "hover intent" on the menu.

I hope my suggestions will help!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Busy - very busy. Where do my eyes go first? To the blinking advertisements? I'd suggest using a grid system to make sure your content flows more naturally. Less is more

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I'm not a fan of the banner. This is the first place I look and it really isn't telling me anything about what you do. To be honest I'm a little confused with the title. Adding a graphic, kid friendly colors, a mission statement.. give me something that tells me what this site is other than something to do with toys.

2. "Navigation" heading is too light. You need to use contrast to your advantage.

3. The colors are really not kid friendly. You are using red which evokes danger, even if unconsciously. Stop signs, ambulances, blood, alarms etc. Not something you want to associate with kids. Go to a website like kuler to pick out a color scheme and stick to it. Consistency is important.

4. Make your headings stand out more. Again, use color effectively. Simple, bright, clean colors can go a long way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the template but since its kids toys website i thought it would open something in flash like disney.com but it was not.

you need to put some flash animations for logo and menu with sound so kids likes it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

My suggestions would be

- the logo is a bit over the top, I would make it a bit smaller

- you have 3 h1 tags on the page: Ooh Kids Toys - Top Selling Toys for Kids, Toy Departments, Featured Kids Toys. for SEO I would have only one h1 tag on each page.

- also for SEO I'd make your TITLE more keyword focussed. You have your company name as the first few words in your title, this is wasting valuable SEO space.

- I like the price comparison on the lower level pages (are you using easy content units?) and having a voucher code page makes sense. Can you merge the two, so a voucher code from debenhams shows on a product page listing a debenhams price? I think that would be a better customer experience. You might need to move away from easy content units and use the affiliate window shopwindow api, or product feeds to achieve this.

-And I'd put the products on their own pages, so if someone searches for "Sylvanian Chocolate Rabbit Family" you have a page dedicated to that product, rather than it just being part of a bigger page.

Hope that's helpful!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, very good.

The only thing I'd suggest is improving the logo and header - it isn't quite as good as the rest. I think the logo is too big spaced out - it's actually quite hard to read. Similarly, the font for the "Buy the best..." tagline is too spaced out.

Hope this helps!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good to me, only thing i would change is the text on the product detail. I was using FF and it was pretty hard to read.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The toy shop section on the home page looks a lot like ads.

On both the screen resolutions I viewed the page at the main boxes in the Toy Departments section left whitespace at the bottomm of the browser making it look like the page doesn't need to be scrolled.

Theres a lot of whitespace on the right when you do finally realise that the page scrolls and scrolls and scrolls and scrolls and...
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of the site.
    On a browse of the home page though I find the amount of large 'SHOP NOW' icons too excessive, 30 in total for a total of 5 products.
    Shrinking their size might help, or perhaps just sticking with the inital one for the best priced store on the right of the product and use something different for the line up underneath the product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liveland View Post
    I'm looking for reviews for my new Kids Toys Price Comparison site.

Would love any feedback regarding the appearance, content, SEO, etc.

Thanks
    Nice looking site very now with the silver and the blue link colours.

You sought of have a font size change somewhere up on the right at the top that sometimes appears but I can't fathom a way to click it as if I cna hover near it to get it to appear as soon as I move to click it it has gone again.

Mind if I ask how you approach the Free colouring pages downloads whilst I am here please?

I need to do something similar as have a TM cartoon teddy bears line and wish to provide free colouring pages for kids but am not sure of the right format?

I will take a better look another day and see if I spot anything else you need to address but it's looking good other than that annoying font change Ghost.

I agree with felgall about the toy store ads though and if they are all affiliate ads the SE's won't like that for SEO purposes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. why not use a smaller logo, just smaller.

2. give the images in the toys department a border with a padding like 3px. it will be something like.

Code:
    img {
    border:1px solid #eee;
    padding: 3px;
    }
    3. remove the underline from your links, use them when hovering.
    Shreef
    blog: shreef.com
    twitter: @shreef

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall I liked your site, but I agree with the general vibe of the comments that have already been made. First off, I find that the homepage is a bit hectic. I think it can barely hold what you have above the fold, and everything else should be relegated to the appropriate product detail pages. The logo is fine, but it could use a down size.

"Buy the best selling kids toys at the lowest price" I wasn't feeling the font here, it seems out of place in the general look of your site. Also, that phrase leads me to believe that there will be many types of kids toys, when it turns out that you really specialize in five specific types That specialization is your niche and I think your statement should reflect your commitment to these brands. I also agree with others that less "shop now" buttons would work better for you.

That being said, I think you have a good site and there is real sales potential here. Good luck!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the template but make flash like disney.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks pretty good.
    The pictures of the toys could be bigger.
    The content seems to be more on the left side right now, is that a problem?
    Are you able to find your site on google?
    This may be a legal problem "Buy the Best Selling Kids Toys at the Cheapest Price"
    Can best be proven in a study? same for cheapest?
    Popular kids toys and good prices may be more secure.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a look at amazon's new site.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia1977 View Post
    Overall I liked your site, but I agree with the general vibe of the comments that have already been made. First off, I find that the homepage is a bit hectic. I think it can barely hold what you have above the fold, and everything else should be relegated to the appropriate product detail pages. The logo is fine, but it could use a down size.

"Buy the best selling kids toys at the lowest price" I wasn't feeling the font here, it seems out of place in the general look of your site. Also, that phrase leads me to believe that there will be many types of kids toys, when it turns out that you really specialize in five specific types That specialization is your niche and I think your statement should reflect your commitment to these brands. I also agree with others that less "shop now" buttons would work better for you.

That being said, I think you have a good site and there is real sales potential here. Good luck!
    Take a look at amazon's new site. try to structure your page the same way.