SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my new soccer website

I would be most grateful if anyone could give me some feedback on my new soccer website

soccerwebsite

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say much about it because at first glance it's quite excellent. My biggest caveat is that I'm not quite sure what I'd do here. Is this a place for soccer fans to hang out? get information? play fantasy leagues? all of the above? This could be explained in a single-sentence subheader.

You have some validation bugs you could squash, and I'd do something about that uniformly black footer, but other than that, it looks very good. I have a football-fanatic friend in Czechoslovakia who might like this site; I'll send him the link. Carry on!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for advice - much appreciated

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, at a megabyte in size in 55 separate files it takes WAY too long to load even on broadband... somewhere around 50 seconds here on my 22mbps connection -- don't even want to think about how long it would take to load at anything slower (like say... my neighbors 768kbps where the average ping-time to anywhere is >300ms).

It suffers from absurdly undersized fixed metric (px) fonts, a fixed width layout too large for my netbook and too small for my desktop, color contrasts below accessibility norms in a few spots compounding the already uselessly small fonts (particularly in that annoying image rotator thing -- not a fan of those). The high contrast black and white causes dialation issues making the red bits impossible to read as well.

The home page only has 777 bytes of actual text content and six content images. (I think 6... ballparking the rotator) -- so, what on earth is it doing with 22k of HTML?!? Even turdpress bloat isn't usually THAT bad... of course it's knee deep in scripting framework bloat, static CSS inlined in the markup, endless ID's and classes for no good reason, nonsensical heading orders, invalid/inaccessible forms, IE conditionals IN THE MARKUP (for some stupid IE6 warning nonsense instead of just writing the page properly)... and that's before we talk your six validation errors caused by the presence of HTML in your XHTML. (which unlike peanut butter and chocolate...)

... or the tranny doctype -- since transitional is for supporting old/outdated/half-assed coding techniques, not for building new websites.

Here's a tip, if you have 8k of code before you even open the BODY tag, there is something HORRENDOUSLY WRONG with the page. If you have more javascript than you do imates, there is something HORRENDOUSLY WRONG with the page. If you have 147k of CSS, REGARDLESS of how many pages that's for -- there is something HORRENDOUSLY WRONG with the page.

While a lot of that can be blamed on wordpress (like the absolute url's wasting bandwidth, redundant/pointless title attributes), more of it can be blamed on mootools, silly animations for nothing (that should only need 4-6kk of script) and piecemeal slapping together bad off the shelf solutions to things that aren't problems in the first place.

Basically to put this in perspective, your BG2.jpg is by itself larger than I'd allow for a single page on a website TOTAL -- that's HTML+CSS+SCRIPTS+IMAGES... Looking at this page I don't see ANY reason for it to take more than 10-12k of HTML, 30k of CSS for the ENTIRE SITE, maybe 10-12k of scripting...

In other words, it's big, needlessly big... on top of the accessibility issues.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok thanks - I will take your points on board an address some of these issues which I agree with.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think DS looked at the code far more closely than I did. It did take a hell of a long time to load, but I was doing something else while it was loading and didn't take notice at the time. It's still a very good site from a visual perspective, but the coding problems are legitimate issues.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design looks good. I like the color and the fonts used. One thing i would like to mention is i some how feel that the background is little plain. May be you can use some dark color background with those images.

Overall, looks perfect.

Good luck with you website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that you are using the buddyboss theme for Wordpress, so I will not say that much about the behind code.

But the main problem with this prepaid scripts or templates, is that they are hard to make unique compared to the basic theme template. But I looked around on some of the other custom themes out there and your looks fairly unique, I would say you did a good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have checked the site and found the following point to consider as soon as possible ,

the design and look is so so but it could have more attraction if you make your footer rich as it will also help the SEO ,

the On site Optimization is not well as there is no H tag available but h2 is there so create one H1 Tag on site .

alt Image tags are missing with few images .
    your site live score option looks nice but if you make some nice attractive color scheme it will help user to read easily .

one more thing if you use social media on Top it will looks great and will also help to grow in social network . include you tube channel link as well.

Hope you will consider all the points positively
    thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks pretty good - you've got a lot going on with lots of content - this could make it a little bit intimidating for new users. Personally, i'd try to streamline the navigation a little bit. Identify something you're great at or can do better then your competitors and put an emphasis on it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow i think its pretty good. ive been making sites for a while and i just cant get the feel and pro feel that you made. if only your domain was better it could pass off as official

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments but I feel the domain is pretty strong to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome template i like the design and look and feel its too good.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to everyone for their very helpful comments in this thread. I have taken many points on board and made changes where possible. The site has now been live for over a month and is doing well.

thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread is a month old but I will still give review. Looks good. For SEO quality your meta description should be no longer than 150 characters. Some of your images are missing alt tags. Its still search engine friendly though. Page speed is 82/100. Close to or slightly above 90 would be better.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really really like the design of your site. Looks very professionial!
    But one tip: don't use the pop-up register thingy, people hate to be pushed to sign-up.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the colours on site. But i can see that the site is still new - You have only some articles. But it is OK. I am big fun of football so I will put You on my favorites.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks pretty good - you've got a lot going on with lots of content keep going

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks professional.
    Is the member box necessary?
    Could the number of items in the Home News Live Scores strip be reduced to only the most frequently used?
    The ad may benefit from being bigger, maybe a whole width banner under the strip?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a look at your site and you have done a very nice job...I like it alot, so well do. It looks very professional.

The only thing I would say if anything would be the two buttons at the bottom live scores and predictor...im not sure i like them as images and think some nice vector graphics would follow the tone of the website much better, but otherwise once again great site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very clean and professional, congratulation.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any updates? Still looks quite similar.
    Check the answers regularly, most tips are quite useful.