SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charging for Changes

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this, but it seem to fit.

I have a client that wants me to take over as the webmaster for a small website that gets changes maybe once a week. We are talking small minor changes like calenders, menus, and pictures. They want me to come up with some kind of pricing like the below:

Monthly:
    1-5 changes a month- $
    5-10 changes a month - $
    10-20 changes a month - $

The problem with this is I normally charge by the hour and they don't want this. They would rather pay more and pay up front then have me bill them hourly when I make a change. Strange I know!

These are such easy changes I'm not sure what to charge. What does every one here think? What would be some average prices for something like this.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    estimate how long you believe the average time spent would be, ie: 1-5 changes = 1 hour, 5-10 = 3 hours, 10-20 = 5 hours or something like that, then charge your per hour rate that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about that, but then I also thought these changes are going to be so easy I might want to drop my rate. Designing a website from scratch and making these small changes is different.

Does anyone have any resources on what people charge hourly. I just would like to have something if they say Waaa... $100 an hour isn't that a little high. A Article, a site that has average webmaster prices, or anything like that.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you should drop your rate. Companies rather pay more to get quality and reliable service, so if you drop your rate, you could be missing out on the potential benefits... and you could damage your own reputation as a quality, reliable resource as you are too cheap to be valued...

Anyway, that's just what I think...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it strange that they would want to pay more up front than hourly...they may not feel secure that they would be billed properly time-wise, like you could inflate the hours worked (not saying you would, it's just something they may have a concern about).

I also don't think it's wrong to drop your rate for this type of work. I wouldn't charge the same rate for little updates as I would to create a page. It's a different category of work to me.

Incidentally, I would have in writing, as detailed as is possible, what type of updates are to be performed for this fee. The flat-rate client could easily become a nightmare client by insisting on more and more, and defending it as all part of the "updating". You could go from simple paragraph changes to inserting nearly an entire new page. The line must be drawn somewhere. No matter what tier they are on (x number of changes as set by your chart), the types or extent of such changes/updates should be as defined as is reasonably possible. Having that clearly spelled out might be an aid in determining a fair rate as well.

Cheers,
    Tris

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to a more appropriate forum

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature