SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free TV Publicity

I've now been contacted on 4 separate occassions by TV producers (Discovery, TLC, TBS) looking for experts for their shows.

The problem is I have no actual wilderness survival experience, only academic experience (via ROTC). If only I had actual experience imagine all the free publicity.

So, running the most popular site of a genre can have tremendous benefits... if you're an expert at what you're publishing....
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shouldn't you then just go and get actual experience so that you can benefit from the possible publicity????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, imagine all the publicity you could gain from being on tv! If I were you I'd get some experience, since it appears to be a hobby of yours anyway.
    + Celica =
    6G Celicas :: My '94-99 Toyota Celica resource

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all website publishing isn't my hobby, its my job. I completely support myself through my websites.

Second of all I don't think either of you understand. They're looking for someone with actual survival experience and credentials to back that up. There is only one way you are going to get that. The Military.

I'm not going to join the military for 4 years just so I can go on some TV show for 5 minutes and talk about survival.

I also run a health site, do you think I should go to medical school?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fine, if you don't have the opportunity to get actual experience then you should be marketing yourself as a good enough authority to warrant being interviewed by the networks for what you already know. This is the same as when a newspaper editor or journalist gets interviewed on TV. This happens all the time. If you turn down these sort of opportunities you run the danger of not getting them ever again.

The short answer is yes... Herbster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're looking for someone with actual survival experience and credentials to back that up. There is only one way you are going to get that. The Military.
    Oh yeah? Have you ever tried shopping a Walmart sale? Take some mace.

Congrats on the media's acknowledgement!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by billiousness
    Fine, if you don't have the opportunity to get actual experience then you should be marketing yourself as a good enough authority to warrant being interviewed by the networks for what you already know. This is the same as when a newspaper editor or journalist gets interviewed on TV. This happens all the time. If you turn down these sort of opportunities you run the danger of not getting them ever again.
    They actually specify they want someone with military experience.

Besides this isn't like a news story where a reporter would be an expert.

Experience matters alot. Just because I run a children's health site doesn't mean I'm qualified to give medical advice. You need a doctor for that. Just because I run a wilderness survival site doesn't mean I'm qualified to teach it. Sure I know the contents of my site from back to front. I can tell you how to make fire, identify edible plants, construct traps, fish, whatever. That doesn't mean I'm an expert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You still might be able to get on a show or two even if you aren't some diehard survival expert with experience. If you have a decent know-how of it, just tell them that and see if they still want you. You obviously know something if you run a site and know its contents from beginning to end. You probably won't be asked to come on a show without concrete experience, but it doesn't hurt to see if you can just from what you already know. Just tell them that so they don't take you for something you're not. But regardless, congratulations on the honor!