SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy swap image/preload functions

hi there, i am playing with the swapimage behaviour in dreamweaver,,and the images do not swop that fast on my red rollover buttons
    ( have a look at : http://www.sportsecuritymanagement.com/technical.htm)

i was advised of another script which i used in this page:
    http://www.sportsecuritymanagement.com/venues2.htm
    and it also takes that split second longer to see the next image when you rollover..
    (refresh page as if going on as new user)
    can anyone suggest anything to improve this speed as it should be quite fast(maybe ive done something wrong in the scripting?)
    Thankyou!
    "have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey... it's been a while since I spotted you around.

Your images appear to change immediatly on my screen. I think that's pretty much the fastest that you'd get them to change. There is a slight tint of a delay, but I think that's standard.
    - Pip
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re

thanks pip..i sent you a private message!
    "have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found delays in both of your pages. I am looking through these forums to see if anybody else is complaining about this. I have the same problem in my code (a pause in switching to the mouseover image) and I see my IE6 reloading every one of these images each time my code switches images. I preload all of these images but IE6 doesn't seem to keep them. NS6 does keep the preloaded images just fine and I believe that this technique worked fine on IE5.

This is such a common technique (every javascript site/tutorial shows this same code). I can't understand why IE6 shows this behaviour. Except that we are talking about Microsoft.

Here is a sample of my code: www.homebrewpress.com

Alt+F4= User Control ;-) rabmurdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows XP and IE 6.

Both worked very well for me, how fast do you want them to be?

Rab
    "If something is too hard,give it up. The moral my boy is too never try anything"
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well maybe it is my system. I just want the images to be loaded once when I first load the page and then swap images from memory.

I just realized that I set my IE to always load a web site instead of using cache.

Now I have to go do some testing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it might be your system/browser. I didn't experience any problems on either one of the sites. I'm using IE 6 on W2K Pro, with 512MB ram, so I wouldn't know if it's a memory/system speed problem. I've checked the pages on some of the other computers on my floor, and they also did not have a problem. Then again... I suppose the images and pages were cached on my proxy the first time I accessed the pages, so that clears that theory.
    - Pip
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok

hmmok ..so in other words im doing this whole rollover thing correctly ..it just works differently on peoples machines..some are having no problems ,,and some are getting that 1 second delay i was talking about.........

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an update to my earlier post.

I have been causing my own problem with IE reloading all rollover images. I change my cache settings and it goes away. I switched to automatically check for new pages which is what I assume the default is.

I am glad I figured it out so I know my code is working correctly. It does help to talk things out even when I am sitting here alone. Thanks SitePoint.