SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few questions..

Note: These are all "fake" names because I don't want to give real ones. I've substituted something very close, though..

I have a client who's domain name is: jimbob.com

His business is called Jim Bob Photography, and he specializes in wedding and ceremony photography.

I have just optimized his site with meta tags, keywords, etc.. and now I am thinking that he should also take another step. He believes most possible customers will search for him using the keywords of "wedding and ceremony photograhy".

1. Is there an advantage to registering a domain name like "WeddingAndCeremonyPhotography.com" for him? Will this help him get ranked higher?

2. I've read here that hyphenated names are better. So rather than this url I said above, should he use "Wedding-And-Ceremony-Photography.com"?

3. Should he also register domain names like "Wedding-Photography.com", "Wedding-Photographer.com", "Ceremony-Photography.com", "Ceremony-Photographer.com"? Will these also help him get ranked higher?

3. How do I redirect this URL to his "real" website? Can I just use the redirection utility that is provided by the domain registrar? (eNom)

His "real" website contains lots of these keywords already (I helped him write his content to optimize the words he wanted.) But I'm worried that if these "Extra" domains are simply pointing to the same site the search engines will ban him. Is this true? Do I need to create 4 seperate sites for him or can I just point each "keyword-heavy" domain to his "Real" site?

Thanks very much for your help and advice!

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i believe that the more keyword rich domains you have the better

the redirect system is normally set up by your host or registar but a lot of it depends on what they offer

i am not 100% sure if multiple keyword domains can increase the chance of being banned so maybe a more expoerienced se webmaster should step in at this point

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying a bunch of domains will not help.

Using a keyword rich domain in the first place will.

But honestly a local small busines owner does not need search engine placement. 99.9% of the people who search for wedding photography will not be local, so its a waste of time. The important thing for him would be to get listed in the regional areas of directories like DMOZ, LookSmart, and Yahoo.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Aspen,

Actually, the wedding photography example I used is just an example. My client does other kind of photography that is in demand when international clients come to visit. His potential clients would look in the search engines for a photographer in the area using the keywords he wants. (wedding was just an example to illustrate..)

So even though he is a local business, he is trying to attract international clients using the engines.

If I register something like "Wedding-And-Ceremony-Photography.com" would that help him rank higher? Would he be penalized by the engines because the domain is simply pointing to his "real" domain?

thanks!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he won't be penalized but he also won't be helped.

If you want a domain to help you then you need to actual use it, not just point it to your site.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums