SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Music lessons (drum tuition)

I am growing my small business of private drum tuition in Australia. At the moment I have a wordpress site install and starting to have a bare minimum of content. All the basics are there, and now there are a couple blogs etc.

I am specifically interested in getting this site ranking higher in search engines so as to boost my clientele. Any advice towards that goal is specifically appreciated!

dont be shy, i do not get offended, if your criticism can make my business better i need to hear it.

i need a logo, and maybe some people somewhere can make a good video title screen for my future videos? got any advice?

Thanks!

www.mattsdrumlessons.com.au

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Hi Matt,

I agree that the logo could be better, and the design could be improved a bit, but what stands out on first viewing the site, and the home video, is that you are genuine about what you do, and that's a big plus. There's a kind of honesty about it.

I love the videos on the vids page, too! Really cool.

In terms of SEO, there are things you can do to optimize pages, and it also takes a while for Google to recognize your site's worth, so some patience is needed. In my view, better than SEO is getting the message out there byy word of mouth, meeting people, Twitter, Facebook etc.

I need to go out now, but hope to come back later and make a few other comments.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "This page can't be seen by the current user. Please check page privacy and visibility settings."

I'd choose a different favicon.
    The lime green thing (cant really see what it is) doesnt match
    anything on the page, that I can see.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TWDesign View Post
    "This page can't be seen by the current user. Please check page privacy and visibility settings."

I'd choose a different favicon.
    The lime green thing (cant really see what it is) doesnt match
    anything on the page, that I can see.
    where did you get this error?

thank you!

SitePoint Zealot internetSurfer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pros:

I like the minimalist design
    The flow of the site is cool

Cons:

Create your own flash video for page as opposed to using flash
    Why are there two logo designs: plain text to the left and the image on the right?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by internetSurfer View Post
    Pros:

I like the minimalist design
    The flow of the site is cool

Cons:

Create your own flash video for page as opposed to using flash
    Why are there two logo designs: plain text to the left and the image on the right?
    thank you

and its just an embedded youtube video, so i dont quite understand your point. What do you mean?

there is the text version so that every page has the keywords on the title (for seo), i don't know a lot about seo, so maybe i could just have a good logo picture, and alt text the key words "WOODVALE, (NORTH OF THE RIVER, NEAR JOONDALUP)" in it? would that also be good?

and the logo is just there for the moment until i get a better design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Matt,
    I'm fairly new to the industry so I hope my review can help you.
    I'm on fire fox 5 and windows 7 and the page seemed to take a while to load. On first impression your site was interesting enough for me to want to view the whole site but when I scrolled down past two forms I became confused, wondering if they were for two different purposes. If they do the same thing I would get rid of the second one.
    I enjoyed looking at the rest of the site and found it easy to read and get around. I do agree that your logo needs some work but i thought your footer looked great in black and white.
    Good luck with your drumming Matt.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robkel75 View Post
    Hi Matt,
    I'm fairly new to the industry so I hope my review can help you.
    I'm on fire fox 5 and windows 7 and the page seemed to take a while to load. On first impression your site was interesting enough for me to want to view the whole site but when I scrolled down past two forms I became confused, wondering if they were for two different purposes. If they do the same thing I would get rid of the second one.
    I enjoyed looking at the rest of the site and found it easy to read and get around. I do agree that your logo needs some work but i thought your footer looked great in black and white.
    Good luck with your drumming Matt.
    great feedback thank you!

i will remove the comments form from the pages but leave them on my posts. excellent.

it does run slow and i intend to get better server next year

thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some thing ive done consciously is typed "matts drum lessons" instead of "matt's drum lessons" in the expectation that people will omit the apostraphes in their google searches.

this looks bad to me, but i want to maximise result listings. i got the idea from a successful club in my town which also spells its name wrong, i wondered if this was why, so i went with it.

does any one know if i should no do this, if so why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there needs to be fix many things on your website such as add background to menu on left and add logo etc....

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsdrumlessons View Post
    does any one know if i should no do this, if so why?
    I don't think Google's robots care about punctuation, but humans do! It's always a better look to be accurate with things like this.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about a bass drum with your name on for a logo? maybe with the drum pedal hitting it? ('m talking about a simplified version, not a drawing)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall I like the site. Its nice and minimalistic. However as personal preference I like designs where there are clear defined borders. It makes minimalistic designs look more neat. Example tutorial(I think this is more personal preference though)

Like the others I think the Logo needs some work.
    This page can't be seen by the current user. Please check page privacy and visibility settings
    This error shows on the right hand side of the page? I do like the Type Face of the website. Sorry if I only brought up the bad points. I think that's what you wanted to hear anyway

I used Google Chrome on Win 7 64bit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you need a logo, there is a thread a little lower than yours called logoin30mins.com, for $10. I've not used them but their graphic design skills and portfolio look really good.

If your asking about seo, first you need to know your keywords. go to seo forum to help you with keyword research. once you know your keywords your going with use your heading for them. Welcome is a waste use your keywords like drumming lessons in your home time etc. then go to a keyword density checker and your content, you keywords should not exceed 2%. I would also recommend that you install some seo plugins with your template and I would recommend signing a free account with attracta. They will submitt your site to the search engines and take you through important seo steps..

Hope this helps

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a huge fan of the full screen width designs. I also think the background could be a little bit colorful as well.

Best of luck with your site.

Best Regards,

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

the logo can be better even colours. Try to put little more of text inside. If this is your first website than it is super. also try to find on this forum many SEO tips which can help you in the future. Nice Job, but try to change background colours

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Hi mattsdrumlessons,

Your videos are hard to hear. Perhaps you should invest in a $99 USD Zoom H1 microphone with one of those furry dead cat mufflers over the top.

For your landing page video you could record it outdoors with a nicer backdrop.

It would be best to have your landing page video show one of your students playing, or you alternating with them, or playing together. Do this for about 5 to 10 seconds. Then you could move the camera to focus on you and go into what is special about your lessons.

What struck me most about your site is that it mostly talks about how good you are at the drums but not much about how good you are as a teacher for drummers. Not one of your videos that I could see showed your students. Ultimately you should have two sites: one that showcases you and your bands, and this site that showcases your teaching ability.

Get testimonials from your students. Get approval to post some videos of their accomplishments. Show people how you will make either their drumming better or their children better drummers.

For icing on the cake talk about gigs your students can get into. If you help them go to drumming competition, pass levels of a drummer's guild, etc. Parents would like to see quantifiable results for the time their children spend with you. Find ways to provide this and clearly talk about it on your web site.

Cheers,
    -- Aaron Rosenzweig
    Chat 'n Bike

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    recurve has given you good advice as he is concentrating on the content of the site which is ultimately what will make people invest in you, so content first ( take recurves advice ) and design around the content. People are not going to take lessons with you just because they like your web design. It would help and give an additional push but the content is what will sell you and your services and is what will convince them that your the one they need to be taught by