SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the photo montage old hat?

Is the technique as seen in the photoshop WOW book using lots of layers and various blending techniques looking out of date when used (badly) on some websites?

My two examples for this are:

www.grayston.co.uk
    www.walon.co.uk

As you can tell I am designing a site for a car delivery company and am scoping out the competition and this seems a fairly common theme.

I actually like the one used on the Walon site but I am not sure if this is becoming less and less "in"

Comments appreciated!

RM

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't copy the competition... out-do them!

If you don't like that idea, don't use it. Do something better.
    ----Adopt-a-Sig----
    Your message here!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by randem
    Don't copy the competition... out-do them!

If you don't like that idea, don't use it. Do something better.
    I will definitely try to out-do them - I just wondered if this was a common theme or a bit outdated?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I would argue that it's not so much a question of being either "cool" or "out of date," but whether the photo-montage adds value to your site, and conveys an appropriate image of the site's content.

That said, i would argue that "Grayston" example you noted doesn't necessarilly do that. In a nutshell, it seems to take up a LOT of real estate on the site's homepage, and doesn't really offer the user much information about the company company...or what the site contains (all i see, from an untrained-user's perspective, is a bunch of bland, almost generic images of people at computers, trucks, and cars).

I would argue it would be more effective to have a single, more powerful image that conveys a simple message. Couple that with some content, and you've got yourself a clean homepage with an obvious and up-front description of the site.

As a caveat, I am sure there are some really good examples of powerful and provocative photo-montages out there...and i'd love to see some if people have examples.

Just my two centes

Tim
    http://www.clampants.com | http://www.fivesevenfive.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Clampants

I would argue it would be more effective to have a single, more powerful image that conveys a simple message. Couple that with some content, and you've got yourself a clean homepage with an obvious and up-front description of the site.
    I think you summed it up perfectly - done well it can add real value to a site but done badly it's just a blended mess.

I guess at the moment I have an inspiration block but trawling the competitions site I see plenty of examples of what I don't want but not much of what I want. I am not looking to hijack anyones site I am just looking for ideas that I think work which hopefully I can put together into a good design.

RM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photo montage

They're lame.