User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

That's a good question I'm not sure. You should go ahead and start a new thread about that and I'm sure you'll find your answer.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite right, don't know what came over me. Dreamwove...

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Galen777 View Post
    Thanks, I've been a fan of sitepoint's SitePoint CSS Reference stuff for a while now. Good, clean and clear. The way she suppose to is. One question; is there a Firefox add-on that can make like a text-only browser and just show text the way Readable does (but not overlayed like Readable)? I get tired of paying to see some dumb shmucks bad design all the time... ')
    Just use Opera... check out the "view" menu.

View -> style -> user mode strips all CSS from the page.

Under style there are a bunch of stylesheet overrides that try to turn the page into accessible by font size, color sets, etc, etc... there's like 20 different style overrides you can apply.... and some ones that are useful for web development like "outline", "block structure", "class and ID", etc, etc...

Much of that functionality can also be added to FF via the Web Developer Toolbar... has a nice "disable" menu option.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I know this is off-topic, but thanks. Tried it with this: http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/07/20-3 and it worked fairly well. I see there's a way of putting your own style sheet in as well... looks promising... I use WebDev toolbar in FF, but find that neither that, nor AdBlock, nor NoScript are fully page by page customisable... I know I'm fussy but if someone put their mind to a nice little (fully customisable) FF add-on with a few easily reachable select buttons on the add-on bar (imgs on/off etc.), I'd punt it to the whole wide world. Go Johnnie Marbles.
    Last edited by Mittineague; Jul 21, 2011 at 10:47. Reason: OP forgot to turn off auto-title

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenquad View Post
    Before you decide whether to support ie6 at all, you might want to take a look at Microsoft's IE6 Countdown site. Currently it's showing just 2% (yay!) in the USA and little more than that in the rest of the Western Hemisphere. So unless you're building a site designed to be used by clients in China, India, or Saudi Arabia, I would just stick the Microsoft "upgrade your browser" or comparable warning on your pages and try to forget IE6 exists
    I guess I'm more aware of it because one of my clients has IE6 on her PC, while the machine I work on when I'm there has IE7. It makes me realize IT departments can be slow and inconsistent with upgrades.

I'm still considering my options for previewing in PC browsers on the Mac and found an app called Crossover. Has anyone tried it? All I'd use it for is browser testing.

Laura

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galen777 View Post
    Hi LauraFig and welcome to the big wide world of hand-made web pages... Now that HTML5 is here (here's the shiv to make IE pay attention: https://code.google.com/p/html5shiv/), we can come out from behind our WYSIWYG editors and fire up Notepad++ or whichever you prefer and code straight into the browser. What a relief. From the pared down !doctype to the specific tags, it makes page layout fun again. And CSS, well there's a whole nother swingin' monkey... I got bit two year ago and I'll never look back... I now understand why 'Code is Poetry' is pasted up all over the web - it truly is! And trust me, I wasn't even a geek ') I was a cabinet-maker for 18 years 'til I broke my back and discovered my inner geek! What fun it is. One day the web will be what what it's supposed to be... fast and light. Sleek if you will. WYSIWYG bogs the code down and pulls the whole thing back into the '90's... And what a bummer they were. CSS is fairly easy to learn, but it'll take you a lifetime to master, which is okay by me, coz I'm having so much fun doing it. I'm going for a ride on my bicycle now. Enjoy ')
    Thanks for the encouragement!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey LauraFig, download a copy of Firefox Portable onto a flashdrive (or Firefox5 for that matter - works with Firebug etc.) and away goes your little IE problem. Then you can fiendishly install FF5 onto her machine/s, replace the shortcuts and bingo! silent revolution... ') Viva HTML5, Viva!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will give you a list of programs I use, and why I use them.

Espresso:
    Pros:
    -Running a great dark theme (I'm coding better with dark themes really)
    -Code Navigator(Great for large files)
    -Quick Publish(A small buildin FTP for your projects)
    -Running Preview
    -Great PHP Support
    Cons:
    -Lacking some HTML5 and CSS3 features
    -Needs a better FTP

Coda:
    Pros:
    -Dark Theme
    -Great Snippets support
    -Built-in server explorer and FTP
    -'Sites' to keep track of different sites both Local and remote
    -Great HTML5, CSS3(vendor-prefix too), and PHP Support
    -Built-in references
    -'Share' edit code live and simultaneously with a co-worker in the next cube or across the globe. Share documents via Bonjour, and track changes.
    Cons:
    -Lacking Javascript support
    -Could use better code navigator

Textmate:
    Pros:
    -With Sparkup coding is neat!
    -Lots of built-in completed code. etc. Write input press tab, press 2, and you will get
    Code HTML4Strict:
    <label for=""></label><input type="text/submit/hidden/button" name="" value="" id="">
    -Just pro and fast
    Cons:
    -Code hinting would be great
    -Managing multiple files isn't always easy

Mainly I use Espresso and Coda, and Textmate for fast coding (Zen Coding)

Together with my editors I use a bunch of apps to speed up my development.
    Less:
    -Writing CSS using Less, for fast vendor-prefixes, using some custom built functions to etc. make multiple borders.

Nettuts+ Builder:
    -Optimizing my site a little before publishing.

Snippets:
    -Snippets, like css reset, .htaccess gzip, expires, ETags and so on.

Structurer Pro:
    -Building my structure for my site, download & installing wordpress with a click - Lots of features too.

There is apps like Textexpander I use too, etc. for basic HTML structure, css comments, gzip code for PHP resetting headings and so on.

You should look on the apps, when you get a better coder, and understand the basics more, and really wanna speed up you development, and still know what that is going on.. Those apps can be recommended!

Good luck and wish you the best coding-skills

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when i first started learning html i was referred to 1stpage it has all features a html editor needs, visit HTML Editor, Website Builder & Web Design Software and download a copy.

1stpage still rocks.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicbox View Post
    I remember when i first started learning html i was referred to 1stpage it has all features a html editor needs, visit HTML Editor, Website Builder & Web Design Software and download a copy.

1stpage still rocks.
    He's mac-user and IMO 1stpage looks kinda old
    CSS Class Support
    For the 2006 version - Much better and more updated alternatives today..

But yeah okay, it's a suggestion..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zerpex View Post
    I will give you a list of programs I use, and why I use them.

Espresso:
    Pros:
    -Running a great dark theme (I'm coding better with dark themes really)
    -Code Navigator(Great for large files)
    -Quick Publish(A small buildin FTP for your projects)
    -Running Preview
    -Great PHP Support
    Cons:
    -Lacking some HTML5 and CSS3 features
    -Needs a better FTP

Coda:
    Pros:
    -Dark Theme
    -Great Snippets support
    -Built-in server explorer and FTP
    -'Sites' to keep track of different sites both Local and remote
    -Great HTML5, CSS3(vendor-prefix too), and PHP Support
    -Built-in references
    -'Share' edit code live and simultaneously with a co-worker in the next cube or across the globe. Share documents via Bonjour, and track changes.
    Cons:
    -Lacking Javascript support
    -Could use better code navigator

Textmate:
    Pros:
    -With Sparkup coding is neat!
    -Lots of built-in completed code. etc. Write input press tab, press 2, and you will get
    Code HTML4Strict:
    <label for=""></label><input type="text/submit/hidden/button" name="" value="" id="">
    -Just pro and fast
    Cons:
    -Code hinting would be great
    -Managing multiple files isn't always easy

Mainly I use Espresso and Coda, and Textmate for fast coding (Zen Coding)

Together with my editors I use a bunch of apps to speed up my development.
    Less:
    -Writing CSS using Less, for fast vendor-prefixes, using some custom built functions to etc. make multiple borders.

Nettuts+ Builder:
    -Optimizing my site a little before publishing.

Snippets:
    -Snippets, like css reset, .htaccess gzip, expires, ETags and so on.

Structurer Pro:
    -Building my structure for my site, download & installing wordpress with a click - Lots of features too.

There is apps like Textexpander I use too, etc. for basic HTML structure, css comments, gzip code for PHP resetting headings and so on.

You should look on the apps, when you get a better coder, and understand the basics more, and really wanna speed up you development, and still know what that is going on.. Those apps can be recommended!

Good luck and wish you the best coding-skills
    Thanks for such a detailed list--I'll look into this!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicbox View Post

1stpage still rocks.
    Thanks, I hadn't heard of that one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i must say that i went back to dreamweaver after trying a few others - using code view.

but i want to thank some of the posters for their suggestions: some of the software mentioned here i had never heard before.

so... thanks.
    you rock!

will let you know how it goes.
    cheers
    gio