Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my artist community site

Greetings,

Can you guys please review this online artist community site :
    Global Art Net

I'd like to hear your opinion regarding the look-and-feel of the site. Feel free to look at the source code as well, suggestions for the SEO will be also appreciated!

Thank you advanced.
    Regards

Full time ADMIN - art community
    Part time coder - dsign

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super, Love the colours used.
    The hand logo in your header reminds me of an aboriginal handprint in a cave I saw when I went to Oz! :-)

Good use of white space and the text is clear and easy to read.

Really impressed, you shouldnt find it hard to get members to to register!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is nice but it seems existing some bugs. I see username input and password input not in a same line with texts ( i used google chrome )

Other things ( layout, font, color... ) are ok.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the colour and style of the website. And the image on the home page changes every time you load the website, this is nice.

However, on the "Blog" page, I tried to return to the home page by clicking the manu of "Home" or the banner, but it did not work - I was stilled stuck in the "blog" page. I am not sure if this is a bug.

a fresh, new start... dujmovicv's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultiman View Post
    The site is nice but it seems existing some bugs. I see username input and password input not in a same line with texts ( i used google chrome )

Other things ( layout, font, color... ) are ok.
    Thanks Ultiman! Actually, I do have some issues with displaying those textboxes in Google Chrome which I'm still trying to solve. I don't know why is Chrome displaying that part of the code differently than other browsers (in FF, IE, Opera the page is displayed totally the same - textboxes and labels in 1 line)???? Suggestions?

Part time coder - dsign

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ledlights View Post
    I love the colour and style of the website. And the image on the home page changes every time you load the website, this is nice.

However, on the "Blog" page, I tried to return to the home page by clicking the manu of "Home" or the banner, but it did not work - I was stilled stuck in the "blog" page. I am not sure if this is a bug.
    Thank you ledlights! You were right about the blog! I was thinking about to change those links but now I'm convinced I have to rewrite the code.... Your review is highly appreciated!

Part time coder - dsign

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The logo has orange but some of the buttons are red. If you replaced the red /w orange ones I think it would flow better. Otherwise nice job and gratz!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design is great! Now it is time to get busy with some SEO. The only thing on the design that I would do differently is enlarge the logo a little. For this site, I suggest doing a lot of networking. Interact with a lot of people and get social.
    In addition to facebook, get the Google +1, as well as additional bookmarking widgets going. This is definitely a community that will depend on networking.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure at first what the site does, who the intended audience is. It could just as easily about buying and selling art. Is it a job or freelance gig site? I'm not clear on that either.

Can the benefits for artists not be all bold? When everything is bold, nothing is emphasized.

I don't understand what the 3 panel white block at the very top right is.

Now that I've read the site some I can see using the service. I think I'd like to know up front who pays.

The about us page answers some of my initial questions I'd have wanted to know up front: "Global Art Net is an online community (social network?) for artists, employers seeking creative artists (musicians, painters, photographers, models, dj's, writers, etc : the list is HUGE) and suppliers (artists need stuff, right?). We'd like to provide a simple-but-powerful platform for a creative community that is interested in art." Why is social network a question? Either it is or it isn't. There's a problem with the use of English her as well. How about "Global Art Net is an online community and social network for artists and employers seeking creative artists. Suppliers use our site to find musicians, painters, photographers, models and djs. Artists use our site to find art supplies."

With the question marks and parentheses it's like you don't believe in your mission. That paragraph or its equivalent should be on the home page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @tracidb80 and @digiweb :
    guys thank you so much for your reviews!!!! They're very helpful, with good ideas and corrections which I'm definitely going to use/change on the site!

Part time coder - dsign

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea for a site. I hope it's going well for you.

My biggest critique is that you need a tagline. It took me a minute to find that paragraph on the home page, the one of tiny wording that summarizes what the site is about. If someone stumbles across your site, they're going to hit the back button if they have to try too hard to figure out exactly what it is.

It needs something that stands out like the logo, such as "Where artists and employers meet." Seeing that would encourage me to spend more time reading more about "benefits to the artists" and such.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like it . The color scheme is nice but the hover effect is to strong , the footer is a mess , the content is lacking and there are to many in-your-face ads .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice website, you have used very nice and matching colors but the username and password field are not aligned properly fix them with the fields.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it looks good to me. I like almost everything abut your website. The color looks good and things are managed properly.

Ummm.. may be you try to increase the line height between the texts in the paragraphs.All the best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello dujmovicv,

I'm on Safari on a Mac. When I go to "Search our database" I selected: 1) "Artist" 2) "Animation" 3) ANY and then clicked the blue "Search" button. I got the following error:

Error(s) Found:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/globa217/public_html/ajax/ajaxupload.php on line 2550

That's a bug you'll probably fix quickly but on a general note, I don't understand why I'm searching. There is no text field there. All of this seems better suited to navigation. I think you should abandon this search and have three new headlines between "home" and "about us". I would do it like so:
    Home, Artists, Suppliers, Employers, About, Blog

Having it all tied up in the search makes it impossible for search engines to index the hidden content. It also makes it impossible for us to just simply browse the "art" and "jobs" etc. that we want to see.
    -- Aaron Rosenzweig
    Chat 'n Bike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I like your site; it's very engaging. I'm even thinking of joining.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseXS View Post
    I don't like it . The color scheme is nice but the hover effect is to strong , the footer is a mess , the content is lacking and there are to many in-your-face ads .
    I thought I gave out grumpy, harsh reviews... Negative critiques have a powerful place in reviews; we learn more from them than the "Whee, I like it!" fluffy-bunny positive reviews. However, it's nice to give some suggestions to go with the bashing. If you think the footer is a hot mess, what's a good way to fix it?

Having said all of that, I tend to agree with most of the review. The content is a bit sketchy and the site looks like an ad-driven, not a community-driven, site. It's also a bit unthematic: you have glossy buttons and a striking photo of a girl with a guitar joined with "hand-drawn" social networking buttons that don't fit with the overall look. And the blinky "premium members" ad text is just annoying.

This site is definitely getting there, it's just not quite there yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The overall design concept is there. Colour scheme is nice I just don't like the content layout. For example the Benefits for artists bit is to the right of the page. I think the standard user has come to associate that region as add space on websites. Because of this users tend to look at the left of the screen. As long as you columnise and keep key info and grabbing points of the website to the left it should be good.

I do like the footer. You've made it quite a nice area of the page. The 2 dark bars need to either be thicker or move the footer all in to one thick bar. This should help the page flow and if/when the user scrolls down the page the content will then flow. There should be some good links in this area that will lead them to somewhere else on your website.

Hope I brought up points you can work on. I like the design and concept. No design is ever complete. I believe there is a huge psychology aspect to keeping your visitor on the page. (PS this was all opinion) Good luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website design looks quite good. You have use good color combination.They are bright, but don't annoying eyes. Your logo is good and memorable. Your navigation bar is user friendly and doesn't overloaded with buttons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WoW! I've just came back to "life" from my holiday and saw all these new posts! Thank you so much for your reviews, I think 95% of them are extremely helpful with critics but STRAIGHT suggestions on what I should change/improve. I didn't expect less from the SitePoint community that's why I think it was the best idea to ask reviews here! I'm DEFINITELY going to read your suggestions over again and start correcting my mistakes!

Your time and posts are highly appreciated!

Part time coder - dsign

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, i love the design. Logo looks decent. Nav looks amazing.

In terms of SEO, you dont appear to be targetting many phrases at all. I dont see any faults with the onpage optimisation or anything like that. However, it appears you dont have much of an inbound marketing strategy. Like i cant see this site getting much traffic from google.

How else are you planning on generating traffic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bingobabe1 View Post
    Hi, i love the design. Logo looks decent. Nav looks amazing.

In terms of SEO, you dont appear to be targetting many phrases at all. I dont see any faults with the onpage optimisation or anything like that. However, it appears you dont have much of an inbound marketing strategy. Like i cant see this site getting much traffic from google.

How else are you planning on generating traffic?
    I'm not an SEO expert... I did some reading and have some basic knowledge though : I have implemented some onsite SEO (i.e. title, meta tags like description, keywords), but I obviously need some help. Any suggestions?
    Thnx advanced!

Part time coder - dsign

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dujmovicv View Post
    I'm not an SEO expert... I did some reading and have some basic knowledge though : I have implemented some onsite SEO (i.e. title, meta tags like description, keywords), but I obviously need some help. Any suggestions?
    Thnx advanced!
    Not really sure, you need to do some research and find what keywords people will be searching for that will use your site.

Then get some backlinks to your site containing those keywords.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - In my opinion, the green/black/gray color palette feels more "tech" oriented than "artistic"
    - the "hook" at the top needs to be more prominent as it was hard for me to determine what the site is all about at first
    - There is also a type in the word also in the first paragraph
    - When I went to the blog link I lost some of your primary navigation elements
    - The white box in the masthead (which I am assuming is made up of site users) actually looks a lot like an ad and I if I wasn't reviewing the site I do not believe I would have paid it any attention
    - I like the idea of the site - best of luck getting it off the ground

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - sorry, I din't get the feeling of art when I land on the website. Too many colors around but artistic touch is missing.

- love the hand part of the logo.

- loading time was okay.
    Thanks for the opportunity to review your website.
    Personal Playground: www.sudipmondal.com
    Twitter: @iam_sudip