SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry The Scrollbar haunts me! help!

Greetings once again, o mighty sitepoint overlords. I come in search of assistance...again. Someday I will actually contribute an expert CSS answer, but don't hold your breath.

My client asked for a splash page on their site while the real wordpress was still being developed. This is my first client that incorporates any use of extensive java. I have built this site: OF THE VALLEY :: presented by danielle duval

yet, much to my chagrin there is a horizontal scrollbar on the bottom of the screen. I have examined the CSS, and nothing really jumps out as to what the problem could be. Help! No one likes unnecessary scrolling!

thanks in advance,

ori

Utopia, Inc. silver trophy
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The problem is <div id="social"> which has a width of 960px and a margin-left of 631px, which makes it 1921px wide.
    Drop the width from #social in your CSS and everything should we fine again
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

Minimal Bookmarks Tree
    My Google Chrome extension: browsing bookmarks made easy

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by origen View Post
    My client asked for a splash page
    Ooph...

on their site while the real wordpress
    Uhg....

was still being developed
    OUCH...

This is my first client that incorporates any use of extensive java.
    AAAARGH!!! Though do you mean Java or JavaSCRIPT? (two completely unrelated languages unfortunately sharing the same surname)

yet, much to my chagrin there is a horizontal scrollbar on the bottom of the screen.
    Try adding "overflow:hidden" to #pageWidth.

Not related to your issue - but you may also want to axe the outdated elements that have no place in HTML after 1998 like "bgColor"... though you're using iframes, IE conditionals and a half dozen other things that have no place on a website built in the past decade... so...

Though it says it right up top -- transitional; in transition from 1997 to 1998 instead of being post 1998.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first off, thanks for the speedy reply and answer, Scallio!

@deathshadow - javaSCRIPT, to clarify. Specifically the jPlayer monster. And yes, I noticed the bgcolor and will incorporate it into the CSS. In terms of iframe, the client asked for a youtube embed, and that was the code that youtube spewed out.

The Wordpress site is far more complex, and I'm hoping 100% ironclad, as I had the assistance of a talented, expensive coder (I'm a digital/vfx painter by day).