User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You aren't necessarily "stuck" with it.

With a good image app, some time, and trail and error, you should be able to improve what you have. eg. using an old app to quickly do a wee bit of exposure and focus tweaking (attached) and I'm sure you could do better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am fairly new myself ...I like the site I think the colors are spot on. It loads for me in about 3.1 sec on my desk top. The only thing I would change are the fonts in the header.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips guys. I've tweaked the photo as best I know how & re-uploaded the new version.

I've also changed the header font. I wanted to match the font in the logo (Boopee) but was wondering if that would cause issues with different browsers & OS's since it isn't a standard font? For now I've just gone with the Georgia which I'm told is web safe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the menu links are in small letters and atleast the first letter must be capital ones so it will look professional its just my opinion however the site looks good.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok... new pic of the wife is now up and I've added links to some under-utilised pages in the footer bar ("Guarantee" and "Why Organic")

It has been suggested that I change the standard paypal buttons for ones that match my colour scheme better. Is this a good idea or would it only serve to confuse customers?

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy TheRaptor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Njones View Post
    Ok... new pic of the wife is now up and I've added links to some under-utilised pages in the footer bar ("Guarantee" and "Why Organic")

It has been suggested that I change the standard paypal buttons for ones that match my colour scheme better. Is this a good idea or would it only serve to confuse customers?
    Looks good! One suggestion though: bump the font size on the client testimonial to the same size as the other text (the text portion not the heading). I don't see a problem with the paypal buttons and might be good to leave them as is for the reason that people are used to those yellow and blue buttons from paypal.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look better now Raptor?

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy TheRaptor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look better now Raptor?
    Yes, looks much better now.

The rest of the site looks pretty good to my eyes. The neutral colors and the damask pattern look great and go well with the product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi NJones,

As soon as you can drop the paypal payment system. I know why you did it, I fell into this trap when my wife wanted to sell jewelry online. Paypal has no monthly fee - "good" you tell yourself. Paypal allows payment with credit card - "good" you tell yourself. So what's bad?

First the method of "jumping" from your site to some other site is disconcerting for your prospective buyer. Second, Every time I "add" an item it jumps me away. I have to hunt to the paypal defined "continue shopping" button to go back. Third, it is not obvious for the user how to use their credit card. Paypal's interface asks them to log in... most people get spooked and run away.

Your site looks good. Your pages "appear" static and will be indexed and spidered. You must bite the bullet and roll your own credit card authentication if you want to make this a profitable business.

One more thing - do you ship outside of Ireland, to USA or elsewhere?

-- Aaron Rosenzweig
    <snip/>
    Last edited by Mittineague; Jul 29, 2011 at 23:13. Reason: Please use your signature for your links
    -- Aaron Rosenzweig
    Chat 'n Bike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you about ditching paypal, but I have ZERO experience with other systems & they all look very complex!

What is the simplest alternative that will allow me to replace the paypal buttons with a minimum of redesign to the rest of the site.

We do ship internationally, but paypals very limited shipping options doesn't allow us to calculate the costs properly,.. another reason to ditch paypal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you about ditching paypal, but I have ZERO experience with other systems & they all look very complex!

What is the simplest alternative that will allow me to replace the paypal buttons with a minimum of redesign to the rest of the site.

We do ship internationally, but paypals very limited shipping options doesn't allow us to calculate the costs properly,.. another reason to ditch paypal.
    Hi NJones,

Sorry but there is no simple alternative that I know of. Do a search for "Internet Payment Gateway" and you'll be taking your first steps. Probably about as cheap as you can do is a recurring fee of $10 USD per month. It's a lot of reading and setup on your part.

You can do "IPN" with Paypal but it is just delaying the inevitable. That allows the user to stay on your site and continuously add items to the shopping cart but in the end they still get bounced over to Paypal and their interface.

Make sure that you have some form of "analytics" on your website so you can see where people drop off at. To convince yourself that paypal is an issue and you must fix it, just watch how many people "vanish" after getting directed to paypal. They get spooked and confused.
    -- Aaron Rosenzweig
    Chat 'n Bike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Hi Njones,

I don't know your skill set and comfort level but hopefully this message will help clear up some of your options.

If you really don't want to do any programming than you could consider a "hosted ecommerce" solution. The better ones offer you a fixed price / month as opposed to a percent of your revenue. It puts the control back into your hands and removes the ambiguity for customers that Paypal introduces. Here is a really good blog post at the "pros" to this approach and the "cons":

Hosted Vs Non-Hosted Ecommerce Shopping Cart Solutions Ė My Updated Take | MyWifeQuitHerJob.com

On the other hand, if you are serious about making profitable web sites why not try your hand at learning a bit more programming? You can get open source shopping cart solutions that "just work" out of the box. You'll need to go through the steps to install them but then you are running. You'll be able to track your customers movements and have full control. When you find that the store doesn't do something you want, you have the source code! you can fix it and improve it. Here is the same blogger talking about why you really should make the leap and become a programmer:

Prevent Your Online Store From Becoming a Money Pit By Learning Some Basic Skills | MyWifeQuitHerJob.com

I really like that guy's articles. He's candid and to the point, funny too. He really makes you feel it's possible to take any idea and make it profitable. He sells fancy napkins and it was enough for his wife to quit her job and supplant her salary. I'll leave you with one last gem from him. In this blog post he gives his advice on several open source online store packages. Have a look at it:

How To Select A Shopping Cart For Your Online Store | Create A Profitable Online Store Part 3 | MyWifeQuitHerJob.com
    -- Aaron Rosenzweig
    Chat 'n Bike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you post the code for your menu that you are having trouble with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First things first. I like this website. A very warm clean feel to the site. Obviously there is all the nitty picky.

Not everyone will agree, but you need to change the Paypal buttons to ones that suite your website. Its fine to use Paypal but I just hate there standard button.

I like the photography. Whoever took the pictures of the soap done a good job. All presented nicely. In my opinion the homepage doesn't direct you to what you should be reading. Its all physiological. In my opinion you should box the key areas of the screen. This should help minimalistic design as well

Overall a very well done. I like it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the site, itís simple and clean. The products like soap need classic layout and thatís what it is.
    What I would add is some information on the ingredients the soaps are made from, for example all the benefits of using them with some nice, tempting photos etc. Coconut, lavender etc.
    Generally, If I were in Ireland Iíd buy in this shop

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a great start - the overall look and feel of the website fits well with it's target market. The colours are nice, the fonts are organic looking (in particular, the navigation links) and the layout is clean.

A few things to consider, moving forwards.
    - The nice big photo of the soap is has a great deal of impact on the page, and I'd like to see some more of this, so perhaps you could use a jQuery slideshow to implement some more striking photography. For some good tutorials for this, simply Google 'jQuery Slideshow' - there are many pre-made scripts available.

- The online contact form could do with some visual work - it looks a bit dated. Also, the validation could be improved. Try using something like the Prototype Validation script, which validates the fields on the page, instead of sending you to a new page to tell you that it hasn't been submitted. (http://tetlaw.id.au/view/blog/really...ith-prototype/)

-Third of all, a testimonials page would go down nicely too, I'm sure. You could then add a 'Read more...' link to the testimonial shown on the homepage, so that visitors can view more success stories.

I hope these 3 pointers have been helpful, keep up the good work!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is good but not the professional look for your customers, you need to promote your site in your local market.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the fact there is a human face to your website, nicely done. when I look at your site with FireFox I notice there is a slight line thru the Facebook section of the pictures ... not sure if this can be cleared up or not. Also I see a tree at the very end of the front page on the bottom right... I think I know what you were trying to do, however try the site without it and see if it makes it cleaner.

I also agree with another poster here, see if you can get a site analytic plug in or code, this will tell you what is bring your visitors to your site.

All in all I like it ... like the colors you picked

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, let me put it this way.

In reviewing your website I became more interested in what your site had to offer and the testimonials you feature. In doing so, it looks like you may have made a new customer - ME!

My daughter suffers from eczema and it looks like your wife's product line may be something I want to try out. Obviously, your site didn't chase me away. Nice and direct.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzburgh View Post
    Well, let me put it this way.

In reviewing your website I became more interested in what your site had to offer and the testimonials you feature. In doing so, it looks like you may have made a new customer - ME!

My daughter suffers from eczema and it looks like your wife's product line may be something I want to try out. Obviously, your site didn't chase me away. Nice and direct.
    That is the best kind of feedback I could hope for, thank you!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The overall look for your site looks great to me. I am able to look for the products easily. One thing i can recommend is to create a blog. You may draw your customer back if you have some interesting articles about soup? May be showing some advantages and disadvantages of using the soup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the design, yes, even the floral background. It looks simple and exquisite at the same time. I'd make the main content headers a bit 'fancier' they're uppercase now and same color as the main content. Otherwise, for me it's a winner. Very appropriate for the niche it's built for, looks professional and inviting.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the website's feel and colors. All of the product pages have nice and inviting pictures with the exception of the Lip Balm images on the Body page. I feel the Lip Balm images should match the quality of the other images to keep everything looking professional. Overall - nice job.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the look and feel of the site. However, I am against flash so I would suggest replacing the whole header with html and css.
    and Looks good. For SEO quality your meta description should be no longer than 150 characters. Some of your images are missing alt tags. Its still search engine friendly though. Page speed is 82/100. Close to or slightly above 90 would be better.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice, simple, clean

Overall I like it very much. It is very simple, elegant, and "natural" looking - exactly what it should be.